Given a 3 X n board, find the number of ways to color it using at most 4 colors such that no two adjacent boxes have the same color. Diagonal neighbors are not treated as adjacent boxes.
Output the ways%1000000007 as the answer grows quickly.
1<= n < 100000
Input : 1 Output : 36 We can use either a combination of 3 colors or 2 colors. Now, choosing 3 colors out of 4 is and arranging them in 3! ways, similarly choosing 2 colors out of 4 is and while arranging we can only choose which of them could be at centre, that would be 2 ways. Answer = *3! + = 36 Input : 2 Output : 588
We are going to solve this using dynamic approach because when a new column is added to the board, the ways in which colors are going to be filled depends just upon the color pattern in the current column. We can only have a combination of two colors and three colors in a column. All possible new columns that can be generated is given in the image. Please consider A, B, C and D as 4 colors.
From now, we will refer 3 colors combination for a Nth column of the 3*N board as W(n) and two colors as Y(n).
We can see that each W can generate 5Y and 11W, and each Y can generate 7Y and 10W. We get two equation from here
We have two equations now,
W(n+1) = 10*Y(n)+11*W(n); Y(n+1) = 7*Y(n)+5*W(n);
# Python 3 program to find number of ways
# to color a 3 x n grid using 4 colors
# such that no two adjacent have same
# When we to fill single column
color3 = 24
color2 = 12
temp = 0
for i in range(2, A + 1, 1):
temp = color3
color3 = (11 * color3 + 10 * color2 ) % 1000000007
color2 = ( 5 * temp + 7 * color2 ) % 1000000007
num = (color3 + color2) % 1000000007
# Driver code
if __name__ == ‘__main__’:
num1 = 1
num2 = 2
num3 = 500
num4 = 10000
# This code is contributed by
36 588 178599516 540460643
This article is contributed by Panshul Garg. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Number of ways to cut a stick of length N into K pieces
- Number of ways to make mobile lock pattern
- Count ways to spell a number with repeated digits
- Ways to represent a number as a sum of 1's and 2's
- Ways to sum to N using array elements with repetition allowed
- Ways to select one or more pairs from two different sets
- Count ways to form minimum product triplets
- Ways to paint stairs with two colors such that two adjacent are not yellow
- Count ways to express 'n' as sum of odd integers
- Count ways to express even number ‘n’ as sum of even integers
- Number of ways to get even sum by choosing three numbers from 1 to N
- Ways of filling matrix such that product of all rows and all columns are equal to unity
- Different ways to sum n using numbers greater than or equal to m
- Number of ways to form a heap with n distinct integers
- Count ways to reach the nth stair using step 1, 2 or 3