Visitor Method is a Behavioral Design Pattern which allows us to separate the algorithm from an object structure on which it operates. It helps us to add new features to an existing class hierarchy dynamically without changing it. All the behavioral patterns proved as the best methods to handle the communication between the objects. Similarly, it is used when we have to perform an operation on a group of similar kinds of objects.
A Visitor Method consists of two parts:
- method named as Visit() implemented by the visitor and used and called for every element of the data structure.
- Visitable classes providing Accept() methods that accept a visitor
- Client: The Client class acts as the consumer of the classes of the visitor design pattern. It can access the data structure objects and can instruct them to accept a visitor for the future processing.
- Visitor: An Abstract class which is used to declare visit operations for all visitable classes.
- Concrete Visitor: Each Visitor will be responsible for different operations. For each type of visitor all the visit methods, declared in abstract visitor, must be implemented.
- Visitable: Accept operations is declared by this class. It also act as the entry point which enables an object to be visited by visitor.
- Concrete Visitable: These classes implement the Visitable class and defines the accept operation. The visitor object is passed to this object using the accept operation.
Problem without using Visitor Method
Imagine you are handling the Software management of GeeksforGeeks and they have started certain courses such as DSA, SDE, and STL which are definitely useful for students who are preparing for the product based companies. But how will you handle all the data of Courses, Instructors, students, classes, IDs in your database? If you go with a simple direct approach to handle such a situation, you will definitely end up with a mess only.
Solution using Visitor Method
Let’s look at the solution to the above-described problem. The Visitor method suggests adding a new behavior in a separate class called Visitor class instead of mixing it with the already existing classes. We will pass the original object to the visitor’s method as parameters such that the method will access all the necessary information.
SDE Taught by Instructor SDE studied by Student STL Taught by Instructor STL studied by Student DSA Taught by Instructor DSA studied by Student
Following is the UML diagram for Visitor Method
- Open/Closed principle: Introducing new behavior in class is easy which can work with objects of different classes without making changes in these classes.
- Single Responibility Principle: Multiple versions of same behavior can be operated into the same class.
- Addition of entities: Adding an entity in Visitor Method is easy as we have to make changes in visitor class only and it will not affect the existing item.
- Updating Logic: If the logic of operation is updated, then we need to make change only in the visitor implementation rather than doing it in all the item classes.
- Lots of Updates: We have to update each and every vistor whenever a class get added or removed form the primary hierarchy
- Hard to Extend: If there are too many visitor classes then it becomes really hard to extend the whole interface of the class.
- Lack of Access: Somtimes visitors might not have the access to private field of certain classes that they are supposed to work with.
- Recursive structures: Visitor Method works really well with recursive structures like directory trees or XML structures. The Visitor object can visit each node in the recursive structure
- Performing Operations: We cam use the visitor method when we have to perform operations on all the elements of the complex object like Tree.
Further Read – Visitor Method in C++
- Composite Method - Python Design Patterns
- Factory Method - Python Design Patterns
- Flyweight Method - Python Design Patterns
- Proxy Method - Python Design Patterns
- Decorator Method - Python Design Patterns
- Strategy Method - Python Design Patterns
- Observer method - Python Design Patterns
- Template Method - Python Design Patterns
- Singleton Method - Python Design Patterns
- Memento Method - Python Design Patterns
- Prototype Method - Python Design Patterns
- Bridge Method - Python Design Patterns
- Adapter Method - Python Design Patterns
- State Method - Python Design Patterns
- Facade Method - Python Design Patterns
- Builder Method - Python Design Patterns
- Iterator Method - Python Design Patterns
- Command Method - Python Design Patterns
- Abstract Factory Method - Python Design Patterns
- Python Design Patterns
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.