Given two strings A and B, the task is to convert A to B if possible. The only operation allowed is to put any character from A and insert it at front. Find if it’s possible to convert the string. If yes, then output minimum no. of operations required for transformation.
Input: A = "ABD", B = "BAD" Output: 1 Explanation: Pick B and insert it at front. Input: A = "EACBD", B = "EABCD" Output: 3 Explanation: Pick B and insert at front, EACBD => BEACD Pick A and insert at front, BEACD => ABECD Pick E and insert at front, ABECD => EABCD
Checking whether a string can be transformed to another is simple. We need to check whether both strings have same number of characters and same set of characters. This can be easily done by creating a count array for first string and checking if second string has same count of every character.
How to find minimum number of operations when we are sure that we can transform A to B? The idea is to start matching from last characters of both strings. If last characters match, then our task reduces to n-1 characters. If last characters don’t match, then find the position of B’s mismatching character in A. The difference between two positions indicates that these many characters of A must be moved before current character of A.
Below is complete algorithm.
1) Find if A can be transformed to B or not by first creating a count array for all characters of A, then checking with B if B has same count for every character.
2) Initialize result as 0.
2) Start traversing from end of both strings.
……a) If current characters of A and B match, i.e., A[i] == B[j]
………then do i = i-1 and j = j-1
……b) If current characters don’t match, then search B[j] in remaining
………A. While searching, keep incrementing result as these characters
………must be moved ahead for A to B transformation.
Below are the implementations based on this idea.
Minimum number of operations required is 3
Time Complexity: O(n), please note that i is always decremented (in while loop and in if), and the for loop starts from n-1 and runs while i >= 0.
Thanks to Gaurav Ahirwar for above solution.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Print the final string when minimum value strings get concatenated in every operation
- Transform the string
- Check if it is possible to transform one string to another
- Transform a string such that it has abcd..z as a subsequence
- Minimum number of given operations required to convert a string to another string
- Minimum operation require to make first and last character same
- Minimum number of sub-strings of a string such that all are power of 5
- Minimum number of deletions to make a string palindrome
- Minimum number of deletions to make a string palindrome | Set 2
- Sub-string that contains all lowercase alphabets after performing the given operation
- Minimum number of Appends needed to make a string palindrome
- Minimum number of operations on a binary string such that it gives 10^A as remainder when divided by 10^B
- Minimum number of replacements to make the binary string alternating | Set 2
- Minimum number of adjacent swaps to convert a string into its given anagram
- Minimum number of characters to be removed to make a binary string alternate