Teradata is the most popular type of Rational Database Management System. It is a processing system that is widely used for developing large-scale data warehouse applications. Teradata will develop large-scale data warehouse applications with the help of Parallelism. Teradata is an Open Source Relational Database Management System. It efficiently works in Linux, Windows, Mac Operating System. Teradata is developed by Teradata corporation which is an American IT firm.
Teradata was a division of NCR Corporation. But in October 2007, Teradata separated from NCR and act as a Corporation. The First CEO of this Corporation was Michael Koehler.
Now, let’s discuss the brief history of Teradata –
- In 1979, Teradata becomes a legal organization that was before a part of NCR Corporation. So during 1984, Teradata Organization released their first database computer which was named DBC/1012. This becomes so popular among other organizations that in 1986 Fortune Magazine declared Teradata company’s product as Product of the Year. After getting such success, Teradata Corporation starts working on a huge project. So in 1999, this Organization built the most extensive database using Teradata which has storage of 130 Terabytes. After that in 2002 Teradata version V2R5 was released which was very useful for deploying large data warehouse applications.
- In 2006, the Teradata Master Data Management solution was launched which handle a huge amount of Data especially database of ERP and CRM’s. After that in 2008, Teradata 13.0 was launched having improved features from previous versions and have high storage capacity.
- In 2012, Teradata 14.0 was released and finally, in 2014 Teradata 15.0 version was released which will handle large data warehouse applications with improved features and working efficiently.
- After that in 2015, Teradata Bought Apps Marketing Platform Appoxee, and in 2016, Teradata joins with Big Data. After that Teradata Acquired San Diego’s StackIQ.
- Now Teradata corporation provides a full site that primarily focused on Data Warehouse. Also, Terabyte supports more than 50 petabytes of Data.
Features of Teradata :
- Teradata is based on MPP Architecture where MPP Stands for Massively Parallel Processing. This feature of Teradata will divide the workload evenly among the entire system and the task are running parallel which results in quick completion of the process.
- Teradata system is highly scalable.
- Teradata uses the standard language of the Database i.e. SQL to interact with data stored in tables. Prior to the features of SQL Teradata also include some extra features for efficiency.
- Teradata automatically distributes the data evenly to the disks without any manual intervention.
Applications of Teradata :
- Teradata is mainly used for Customer Data Management.
- Teradata is used in supply Chain Management. In Supply Chain Management Teradata mainly focus to improve customer service, reduced cycle times, and lower inventories.
- Teradata is also used to improve the speed and quality of Product Management data.
- It also used for Finance and Performance Management.
Advantages of Teradata :
- Teradata supports more than 50 petabytes of Data.
- Teradata act as a single point of source for the Database Administrator of the organization to manage their database.
- Teradata supports parallelism which enables the different tasks to run efficiently.
- Teradata allows getting the same data on multiple deployment options.
- Teradata works efficiently with various Business Intelligence tools.
- Teradata Corporation mainly focused on the Data Warehousing of various applications.
Disadvantages of Teradata :
- For storing, accessing, manipulating large data, a sufficient amount of Memory is required. But sometimes insufficient memory results occur.
- As the availability of Memory is less, the performance of its working gradually decreases.
- Data Transfer costs higher.
- Teradata is an excellent option for those organizations only which have a massive amount of data warehousing or analysis. For other organizations, it becomes too costly and will not efficient.
- Migration of data from Teradata RDBMS to another RDBMS is very difficult.
- Skilled Workers are required to handle and work with Teradata.
Unlock the Power of Placement Preparation!
Feeling lost in OS, DBMS, CN, SQL, and DSA chaos? Our Complete Interview Preparation
Course is the ultimate guide to conquer placements. Trusted by over 100,000+ geeks, this course is your roadmap to interview triumph.
Ready to dive in? Explore our Free Demo Content and join our Complete Interview Preparation