Structured Programming Approach, as the word suggests, can be defined as a programming approach in which the program is made as a single structure. It means that the code will execute the instruction by instruction one after the other. It doesn’t support the possibility of jumping from one instruction to some other with help of any statement like GOTO, etc. Therefore, the instructions in this approach will be executed in a serial and structured manner. The languages that support Structured programming approach are:
On the contrary, in the Assembly languages like Microprocessor 8085, etc, the statements do not get executed in a structured manner. It allows jump statements like GOTO. So the program flow might be random.
The structured program mainly consists of three types of elements:
- Selection Statements
- Sequence Statements
- Iteration Statements
The structured program consists of well structured and separated modules. But the entry and exit in a Structured program is a single-time event. It means that the program uses single-entry and single-exit elements. Therefore a structured program is well maintained, neat and clean program. This is the reason why the Structured Programming Approach is well accepted in the programming world.
Advantages of Structured Programming Approach:
- Easier to read and understand
- User Frindly
- Easier to Maintain
- Mainly problem based instead of being machine based
- Development is easier as it requires less effort and time
- Easier to Debug
- Machine-Independent, mostly.
Disadvantages of Structured Programming Approach:
- Since it is Machine-Independent, So it takes time to convert into machine code.
- The converted machine code is not the same as for assembly language.
- The program depends upon changeable factors like data-types. Therefore it needs to be updated with the need on the go.
- Usually the development in this approach takes longer time as it is language dependent. Whereas in the case of assembly language, the development takes lesser time as it is fixed for the machine.
- C Programming Language Standard
- A C Programming Language Puzzle
- Interesting Facts in C Programming
- What's the difference between Scripting and Programming Languages?
- Creating a Rainbow using Graphics Programming in C
- Working of Keyword long in C programming
- Editors and Its types in System Programming
- Benefits of C language over other programming languages
- Sort an array using socket programming in C
- Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 3
- getchar_unlocked() - faster input in C/C++ for Competitive Programming
- Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 1
- Commonly Asked C Programming Interview Questions | Set 2
- C++: Methods of code shortening in competitive programming
- Socket Programming in C/C++: Handling multiple clients on server without multi threading
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.