Structured Programming Approach, as the word suggests, can be defined as a programming approach in which the program is made as a single structure. It means that the code will execute the instruction by instruction one after the other. It doesn’t support the possibility of jumping from one instruction to some other with the help of any statement like GOTO, etc. Therefore, the instructions in this approach will be executed in a serial and structured manner. The languages that support Structured programming approach are:
On the contrary, in the Assembly languages like Microprocessor 8085, etc, the statements do not get executed in a structured manner. It allows jump statements like GOTO. So the program flow might be random.
The structured program mainly consists of three types of elements:
- Selection Statements
- Sequence Statements
- Iteration Statements
The structured program consists of well structured and separated modules. But the entry and exit in a Structured program is a single-time event. It means that the program uses single-entry and single-exit elements. Therefore a structured program is well maintained, neat and clean program. This is the reason why the Structured Programming Approach is well accepted in the programming world.
Advantages of Structured Programming Approach:
- Easier to read and understand
- User Friendly
- Easier to Maintain
- Mainly problem based instead of being machine based
- Development is easier as it requires less effort and time
- Easier to Debug
- Machine-Independent, mostly.
Disadvantages of Structured Programming Approach:
- Since it is Machine-Independent, So it takes time to convert into machine code.
- The converted machine code is not the same as for assembly language.
- The program depends upon changeable factors like data-types. Therefore it needs to be updated with the need on the go.
- Usually the development in this approach takes longer time as it is language-dependent. Whereas in the case of assembly language, the development takes lesser time as it is fixed for the machine.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Why learning C Programming is a must?
- C Programming Language Standard
- A C Programming Language Puzzle
- How to create GUI in C programming using GTK Toolkit
- Interesting Facts in C Programming
- Features of C Programming Language
- C Programming For Beginners - A 20 Day Curriculum!
- Role of SemiColon in various Programming Languages
- Format specifiers in different Programming Languages
- Top 10 Programming Languages for Blockchain Development
- Introduction to the C99 Programming Language : Part III
- Introduction to the C99 Programming Language : Part II
- Introduction to the C99 Programming Language : Part I
- What are the C programming concepts used as Data Structures
- Benefits of C language over other programming languages
- Editors and Its types in System Programming
- Sort an array using socket programming in C
- Creating a Rainbow using Graphics Programming in C
- What's the difference between Scripting and Programming Languages?
- Working of Keyword long in C programming
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : naseemshahvarikodan