What is in-place sorting?
An in-place sorting algorithm uses constant extra space for producing the output (modifies the given array only). It sorts the list only by modifying the order of the elements within the list.
For example, Insertion Sort and Selection Sorts are in-place sorting algorithms as they do not use any additional space for sorting the list and a typical implementation of Merge Sort is not in-place, also the implementation for counting sort is not in-place sorting algorithm.
What are Internal and External Sortings?
When all data that needs to be sorted cannot be placed in-memory at a time, the sorting is called external sorting. External Sorting is used for massive amount of data. Merge Sort and its variations are typically used for external sorting. Some external storage like hard-disk, CD, etc is used for external storage.
When all data is placed in-memory, then sorting is called internal sorting.
What is stable sorting?
See Stable Sorting Algorithms
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Find the Minimum length Unsorted Subarray, sorting which makes the complete array sorted
- Stability in sorting algorithms
- Which sorting algorithm makes minimum number of memory writes?
- Lower bound for comparison based sorting algorithms
- Pancake sorting
- A Pancake Sorting Problem
- External Sorting
- Cartesian Tree Sorting
- Sorting 2D Vector in C++ | Set 2 (In descending order by row and column)
- Know Your Sorting Algorithm | Set 1 (Sorting Weapons used by Programming Languages)
- Know Your Sorting Algorithm | Set 2 (Introsort- C++’s Sorting Weapon)
- Sleep Sort – The King of Laziness / Sorting while Sleeping
- Sorting Vector of Pairs in C++ | Set 1 (Sort by first and second)
- Sorting Vector of Pairs in C++ | Set 2 (Sort in descending order by first and second)
- Sorting 2D Vector in C++ | Set 3 (By number of columns)