There can be some instances where you need to return multiple values (may be of different data types ) while solving a problem. One method to do the same is by using pointers, structures or global variables, already discussed here
There is another interesting method to do the same without using the above methods, using tuples (for returning multiple values ) and pair (for two values).
We can declare the function with return type as pair or tuple (whichever required) and can pack the values to be returned and return the packed set of values. The returned values can be unpacked in the calling function.
- A tuple is an object capable to hold a collection of elements where each element can be of a different type.
- Class template
std::tupleis a fixed-size collection of heterogeneous values
- This class couples together a pair of values, which may be of different types
- A pair is a specific case of a std::tuple with two elements
Note : Tuple can also be used to return two values instead of using pair .
Values returned by tuple: 10 5 a Values returned by Pair: 2 5
This article is contributed by Mayank Rawat. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- How to return multiple values from a function in C or C++?
- How can I return multiple values from a function?
- Declare a C/C++ function returning pointer to array of integer pointers
- Passing and Returning Objects in C++
- C function argument and return values
- All possible values of floor(N/K) for all values of K
- Sorting of Vector of Tuple in C++ (Descending Order)
- Sorting of Vector of Tuple in C++ (Ascending Order)
- Multiple Inheritance in C++
- Creating multiple process using fork()
- Assigning multiple characters in an int in C language
- Structure Sorting (By Multiple Rules) in C++
- Class template with multiple parameters
- Difference between Single and Multiple Inheritance in C++
- Stack of Pair in C++ STL with Examples
- How Linkers Resolve Global Symbols Defined at Multiple Places?
- Pair in C++ Standard Template Library (STL)
- Default values in a Map in C++ STL
- Lex program to take input from file and remove multiple spaces, lines and tabs
- Socket Programming in C/C++: Handling multiple clients on server without multi threading