Python String Methods | Set 3 (strip, lstrip, rstrip, min, max, maketrans, translate, replace & expandtabs())
Some of the string methods are covered in the below sets.
String Methods Part- 1
String Methods Part- 2
More methods are discussed in this article
1. strip():- This method is used to delete all the leading and trailing characters mentioned in its argument.
2. lstrip():- This method is used to delete all the leading characters mentioned in its argument.
3. rstrip():- This method is used to delete all the trailing characters mentioned in its argument.
String after stripping all '-' is : geeksforgeeks String after stripping all leading '-' is : geeksforgeeks--- String after stripping all trailing '-' is : ---geeksforgeeks
4. min(“string”):- This function returns the minimum value alphabet from the string.
5. max(“string”) :- This function returns the maximum value alphabet from string.
The minimum value character is : e The maximum value character is : s
6. maketrans():- It is used to map the contents of string 1 with string 2 with respective indices to be translated later using translate().
7. translate():- This is used to swap the string elements mapped with the help of maketrans().
The string after translation using mapped elements is : aeeksbcraeeks
In the above code, ‘g’ is replaced by a, ‘f’ is replaced by b, and ‘o’ is replaced by ‘c’ in the string using the translate function.
8.replace():- This function is used to replace the substring with a new substring in the string. This function has 3 arguments. The string to replace, new string which would replace and max value denoting the limit to replace action ( by default unlimited ).
The string after replacing strings is : geeksforgeeks is for nerds
This method is contributed by Chinmoy Lenka
9. expandtabs():- It is used to replace all tab characters(“\t”) with whitespace or simply spaces using the given tab size, which is optional to supply.
Parameters: Specifying the number of characters to be replaced for one tab character. By default, the function takes tab size as 8.
Return Value: A string in which all the tab characters are replaced with spaces.
GEEKS FOR GEEKS GEEKS FOR GEEKS GEEKS FOR GEEKS