pop() is an inbuilt function in Python that removes and returns last value from the list or the given index value.
index (optional) - The value at index is popped out and removed. If index is not given, then last element is popped out and removed.
The last value or the given index value from the list
When index is out of range, it returns IndexError
Code #1 :
6 New List after pop : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 4 ('cat', 'bat') 3 New List after pop : [1, 2]
Code #2 :
6 [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 1 [2, 3, 4, 5]
Code #3 : IndexError
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/1875538d94d5aecde6edea47b57a2212.py", line 5, in print(list1.pop(8)) IndexError: pop index out of range
Practical Example :
A list fruit contains fruit_name and property saying its fruit. Another list consume has two items juice and eat. With the help of pop() and append() we can do something interesting.
[['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Eat']]
- Python program to create a list of tuples from given list having number and its cube in each tuple
- Python List Comprehension | Segregate 0's and 1's in an array list
- Python | Convert a nested list into a flat list
- Python | Maximum sum of elements of list in a list of lists
- Python | Sort the values of first list using second list
- Python List
- Python list remove()
- Python | Reversing a List
- Python list | reverse()
- Python | Creating a 3D List
- List methods in Python
- Python | How to get the last element of list
- Python list | insert()
- List Methods in Python | Set 1 (in, not in, len(), min(), max()...)
- Python list | index()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.