pop() is an inbuilt function in Python that removes and returns last value from the list or the given index value.
index (optional) - The value at index is popped out and removed. If the index is not given, then the last element is popped out and removed.
The last value or the given index value from the list
When index is out of range, it returns IndexError
Code #1 :
6 New List after pop : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 4 ('cat', 'bat') 3 New List after pop : [1, 2]
Code #2 :
6 [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 1 [2, 3, 4, 5]
Code #3 : IndexError
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/1875538d94d5aecde6edea47b57a2212.py", line 5, in print(list1.pop(8)) IndexError: pop index out of range
Practical Example :
A list fruit contains fruit_name and property saying its fruit. Another list consume has two items juice and eat. With the help of pop() and append() we can do something interesting.
[['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Eat']]
- Python | Convert list of tuples to list of list
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
- Python | Convert mixed data types tuple list to string list
- Python program to create a list of tuples from given list having number and its cube in each tuple
- Python | Merge list of tuple into list by joining the strings
- Python | Merge List with common elements in a List of Lists
- Python | Convert string List to Nested Character List
- Python | Replace elements in second list with index of same element in first list
- Python | Sorting list of lists with similar list elements
- Python | Convert list of string into sorted list of integer
- Python | Filter list of strings based on the substring list
- Python | Find maximum length sub-list in a nested list
- Python | Pair and combine nested list to tuple list
- Python | Add list elements with a multi-list based on index
- Python | Convert list of numerical string to list of Integers
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : nidhi_biet