Given a string and a sub-string, the task is to get the count of overlapping substring from the given string.
Note that in Python, the
count() function returns the number of substrings in a given string, but it does not give correct results when two occurrences of the substring overlap. Consider this example –
The output we got here is 2, but the expected output is 3 since we also wanted to count the occurrence of overlapped sub-string.
In order to solve this problem, we can use
find() function in Python. It returns the start position of the first occurrence of substring in the given string, then we increment this position by 1 and continue the search from that position till the end of the string.
Below is the implementation –
- Python - Count Strings with substring String List
- Python | Ways to count number of substring in string
- Python - String till Substring
- Python | Remove the given substring from end of string
- Python | Get the string after occurrence of given substring
- Python | Frequency of substring in given string
- Python | All occurrences of substring in string
- Python | Check if substring present in string
- Python | Check if a Substring is Present in a Given String
- Python | Get the substring from given string using list slicing
- Python | Substring removal in String list
- Python | Ways to find nth occurrence of substring in a string
- Python | Find overlapping tuples from list
- Python | Merge overlapping part of lists
- Python String | count()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.