Writing good format code is very important, small programs are easy to understand but as programs complex it get harder and harder to understand at some point you can’t even understand code written by you. For this, it is needed to write code in a format that is more readable and here Black comes into play, Black ensure code quality.
What is Black?
Linters such as
flake8 show weather your code is according to PEP8 format, which is official Python style guide. But the promble is this gives burden to the developers to fix this formatting style. Here Black comes into play it not only report format errors but also fix them.
To quote the project README:
Black is the uncompromising Python code formatter. By using it, you agree to cede control over minutiae of hand-formatting. In return, Black gives you speed, determinism, and freedom from pycodestyle nagging about formatting. You will save time and mental energy for more important matters.
Note: Black can be easily integrated with many editors such as Vim, Emacs, VSCode, Atom or a version control system like GIT.
Installing and using Black :
Black requires Python 3.6.0+ with pip installed :
$ pip install black
It is very simple to use black. Run the below command in the terminal.
$ black [file or directory]
This will reformat your code using the Black codestyle.
Example 1:Let’s create an unformatted file name “sample.py” and we want to format it using black. Below is the implementation.
After creating this file run the below command.
In the above example, both are the same piece code but after using black it is formatted and thus easy to understand.
Example 2: Let’s create another file “sample1.py” containing the following code.
After writing the above command again in the terminal.
- Formatting Dates in Python
- Python | Output Formatting
- String Formatting in Python using %
- JSON Formatting in Python
- White and black dot detection using OpenCV | Python
- Formatting integer column of Dataframe in Pandas
- Issues with using C code in Python | Set 2
- Issues with using C code in Python | Set 1
- code.compile_command() in Python
- Code Golfing in Python
- Python code to convert SOP to POS
- Code introspection in Python
- Debugging Python code using breakpoint() and pdb
- Top 10 Python IDE and Code Editors in 2020
- Different Python IDEs and Code Editors