PROJECT Operation in Relational Algebra
Prerequisite – Relational Algebra
Project operation selects (or chooses) certain attributes discarding other attributes. The Project operation is also known as vertical partitioning since it partitions the relation or table vertically discarding other columns or attributes.
where ‘A’ is the attribute list, it is the desired set of attributes from the attributes of relation(R),
symbol ‘π(pi)’ is used to denote the Project operator,
R is generally a relational algebra expression, which results in a relation.
Given a relation Faculty (Class, Dept, Position) with the following tuples:
1. Project Class and Dept from Faculty –
Here, we can observe that the degree (number of attributes) of resulting relation is 2, whereas the degree of Faculty relation is 3, So from this we can conclude that we may get a relation with varying degree on applying Project operation on a relation.
Hence, the degree of resulting relation is equal to the number of attribute in the attribute list ‘A’.
2. Project Position from Faculty –
Here, we can observe that all the duplicate tuples are removed from the relation in the resulting relation. This is called as Duplicate elimination.
3. Project Class from Faculty –
- The Project operation removes duplicate tuples.
- The Project operation is not commutative, that is :
πAttribute List 1(πAttribute List2(R)) != πAttribute List 2 (πAttribute List1(R))
- The following expression is valid only if Attribute List 1 is a subset of Attribute List 2.
πAttribute List 1(πAttribute List2(R))
Moreover, writing the above expression is as good as writing the expression below:
πAttribute List 1(πAttribute List2(R)) = πAttribute List 1 (R)
- The cardinality (number of tuples) of resulting relation from a Project operation is:
1 <= πA(R) <= |R|
- The degree (number of attributes) of resulting relation from a Project operation is equal to the number of attribute in the attribute list ‘A’.
- In SQL, SELECT DISTINCT query is exactly as same as PROJECT here.
Level Up Your GATE Prep!
Embark on a transformative journey towards GATE success by choosing Data Science & AI
as your second paper choice with our specialized course. If you find yourself lost in the vast landscape of the GATE syllabus, our program is the compass you need.