The header() function is an inbuilt function in PHP which is used to send a raw HTTP header. The HTTP functions are those functions which manipulate information sent to the client or browser by the Web server, before any other output has been sent. The PHP header() function send a HTTP header to a client or browser in raw form. Before HTML, XML, JSON or other output has been sent to a browser or client, a raw data is sent with request (especially HTTP Request) made by the server as header information. HTTP header provide required information about the object sent in the message body more precisely about the request and response.
void header( $header, $replace = TRUE, $http_response_code )
Parameters: This function accepts three parameters as mentioned above and described below:
- $header: This parameter hold the header string. There are two types of header calls. The first header starts with string “HTTP/”, which is used to figure out the HTTP status code to send. The second case of header is the “Location:”. It is mandatory parameter.
- $replace: It is optional parameter. It denotes the header should replace previous or add a second header. The default value is True (will replace). If $replace value is False then it force multiple headers of the same type.
- $http_response_code: It is an optional parameter. It forces the HTTP response code to the specified value (PHP 4.3 and higher).
Return Values: This function doesn’t return any value.
This will change location of header, i.e. redirect to the URL
Hello World! Array (  => X-Powered-By: PHP/7.0.33  => Expires: Sun, 25 Jul 1997 06:02:34 GMT  => Cache-Control: no-cache  => Pragma: no-cache )
The above example helps to prevent caching by sending header information which override browser setting to not-cache.
Note: The header() functions is used multiple time in the example as one header is allowed to send at a time (since PHP 4.4) to prevent header injection attacks.
- Change page location
- Set timezone
- Set caching control
- Initiate force download
- Send HTTP Status
- Semantic-UI | Header
- HTML 5 | <header> Tag
- HTML | DOM Header Object
- jQuery | :header Selector
- How to read any request header in PHP
- How to align header with wrapper in Bootstrap ?
- HTML Course | Building Header of the Website
- HTTP header | X-Forwarded-Host
- How to group header content of a table using HTML5 ?
- How to make a Bootstrap 4 accordion collapse when clicking the whole header div ?
- How to get the function name inside a function in PHP ?
- D3.js | d3.lab() Function
- PHP | cos( ) Function
- p5.js | sin() function
- D3.js | d3.hcl() Function
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.