Patent is an official document giving it’s owner sole right to make, use or sell the invention and preventing others from using it or copying it.It is an invention that is legally protected.
Types of Patent:
- Utility Patent –
It is a patent which applies to the creation of a new or improved product or process. Example:-Nail cutter, washing machine, process of making steel etc.
- Design Patent –
It is a patent which applies to the shape of any material, the shape must be new and original.Design Patent is given for the aesthetic of material not for utility.Example:-cut of a dress, shape of an automobile etc.
- Plant Patent –
It is a patent which is given to the new variety of plants that are asexually reproduced. A plant is asexually reproduced if it is reproduced by a method such as cutting or grafting instead of using seeds.Example:- A golden color flower created through grafting.
Criteria for Patent:
- Novelty –
This means inventions should be new and original and not disclosed to the public before filling the application date.
- Usefulness –
This means that invention must be useful and industrially applicable.it must serve some Useful Purpose and help the society.
- Inventiveness –
This means that invention could not be created by applying previous knowledge and concepts .It should not be obvious and lacking creativity.It must be an inventive solution.
Advantages of Patent:
- It gives you a right to prevent imitating, manufacturing or selling of your invention without your consent.
- It provides a legal protection to the invention.
- It gives you a way of generating income through licensing.
- It encourages new invention and promotes growth in the society.
- It gives credits to the owner of invention and higher return of investment.
- 10 Best Data Visualization Tools in 2020
- Geeks Summer Carnival - A Virtual Fun Festival For Coders
- 5 Interesting Projects Developed By Google’s X Development
- 5 Ways to Maintain the Security During Work From Home
- Two Factor Authentication Implementation Methods and Bypasses
- How Computer / Laptop Starts ?
- How to Make Your Work From Home More Productive?
- Special 21 - Coding Interview Preparation in 21 Days Lockdown
- Distributed Objects Computing: The next generation of client-server computing
- How to Get Masters in Data Science in 2020?
- How to be a Good Programmer in College ?
- Top 10 Reasons to Learn AWS - Services And Benefits
- 7 Essential Mobile Apps for Computer Science(CS) Students
- How to Think Like a Programmer?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.