Jython – Introduction and Installation
It’s not hidden that Java is a powerful and Python is a simple and easy language. To get them both together, Jython was introduced so it is both powerful and simple. It is a pure Java implementation of Python. It uses Python’s syntax and Java’s environment. It allows using features of Python in Java environment or to import Java classes in Python codes and hence, is very flexible. Jython can run on almost any platform which provides flexibility in application deployment and it also provides many libraries with many more APIs.
It is really beneficial for those who create applications in Java and are new to Python. Python has three implementations:
- Cpython(mostly used)
Installation of Jython
- Download your copy from www.jython.org
- It will be combined as a cross-platform executable JAR file
- If you don’t have Java installed in your system you will need to grab a copy of it. you can download it from www.java.com and install it.
- Double click on the JAR file and install it with “All” features installed
- Find the jython.bat(windows) or jython.sh(Mac OS) file in the same folder where you installed Jython
- Place this folder within your PATH environment variable
- After all this has done you will be able to open up the command prompt, type
jython and then hit the “enter” key
To install Jython in Linux type the below command in the terminal.
sudo apt install jython
After typing this command provide your sudo password and that’s it. Linux will handle the rest. After installation, check whether Jython is installed correctly or not. See the below image for checking.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!