Dictionary in Python is an unordered collection of data values, used to store data values like a map, which unlike other Data Types that hold only single value as an element, Dictionary holds
There are multiple ways to iterate over a dictionary in Python.
- Iterate through all keys
- Iterate through all values
- Iterate through all key, value pairs
Iterate through all keys:
The order of states in the below code will change every time because the dictionary doesn’t store keys in a particular order.
List Of given states: Rajasthan Bihar Maharashtra Gujarat
In order to maintain the order of keys and values in a dictionary, use OrderedDict.
List Of given states: Gujarat Maharashtra Rajasthan Bihar
Above dictionary is an OrderedDict as the keys and values are stored in the order in which they were defined in the dictionary. Hence the above method should be used when we want to maintain the order of (key, value) stored in the dictionary.
Iterate through all values:
Again, in this case, the order in which the capitals are printed in the below code will change every time because the dictionary doesn’t store them in a particular order.
List Of given capitals: Gandhinagar Jaipur Mumbai Patna
Iterate through all key, value pairs:
List Of given states and their capitals: Bihar : Patna Gujarat : Gandhinagar Rajasthan : Jaipur Maharashtra : Mumbai
- Iterate over a set in Python
- Iterate over a list in Python
- Python | Convert nested dictionary into flattened dictionary
- Python | Convert flattened dictionary into nested dictionary
- Iterate over characters of a string in Python
- Python | Iterate over multiple lists simultaneously
- Python | Convert string dictionary to dictionary
- Python | Ways to iterate tuple list of lists
- Python | Get key from value in Dictionary
- Python Dictionary
- Python Dictionary clear()
- Few mistakes when using Python dictionary
- Python Dictionary copy()
- Python | Dictionary with index as value
- Python Dictionary | pop() method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.