Immersive technologies-Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality (AR) is type of Immersive Technology. Augmented reality is the overlay of digital content on the real-world environment. Virtual objects can be in various forms : images, videos, or interactive data.
How does AR works ?
- AR uses computer vision, mapping as well as depth tracking in order to show appropriate content to the user. This functionality allows cameras to collect, send, and process data to show digital content appropriate to what any user is looking at.
- In Augmented reality, the user’s physical environment is enhanced with contextually relevant digital content in real-time. You can experience (AR) augmented reality with smartphone or with special hardware.
- AR apps are being developed which embed text, images, videos, etc.
Applications of Augmented Reality Technology :
- AR in architecture projects involves placing 3D model of proposed design onto an existing space using mobile devices and 3D models.
- Mobile AR is creative and highly effective education and entertainment tool that adds an extra layer of information – content such as 3D characters, image, video, text, sound and more – to everyday objects and environments.
- Application that allows users to test products in real time through AR technology.
- Away from hotel environments, some companies within the travel industry are developing augmented reality apps, which allow tourists to enhance physical locations and tourist attractions. This may allow user to point their smartphone at building or landmark and learn more about it, in real-time.
- Printing and advertising industries are using AR technology apps to display digital content on top of real-world magazines.
- AR technology allows you for the development of translation apps that helps you to interpret the text in other languages for you.
- With the help of the Unity 3D Engine tool, AR is being used to develop real-time 3D Games.
- Pokemon Go etc…