Hypervisor is a form of virtualization software used in Cloud hosting to divide and allocate the resources on various pieces of hardware.The program which provide partitioning, isolation or abstraction is called virtualization hypervisor. Hypervisor is a hardware virtualization technique that allows multiple guest operating systems (OS) to run on a single host system at the same time. A hypervisor is sometimes also called a virtual machine manager(VMM).
Types of Hypervisor –
Hypervisor runs directly on underlying host system.It is also known as “Native Hypervisor” or “Bare metal hypervisor”.It dose not require any base server operating system.It has direct access to hardware resources.Examples of Type 1 hypervisors include VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer and Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor.
A Host operating system runs on undrlying host system.It is also known as ‘Hosted Hypervisor”.Basically a software installed on an operating system.Hypervisor asks operating system to make hardware calls.Example of Type 2 hypervisor include VMware Player or Parallels Desktop. Hosted hypervisors are often found on endpoints like PCs.
Choosing the right hypervisor
Type 1 hypervisors offer much better performance than Type 2 ones because there’s no middle layer, making them the logical choice for mission-critical applications and workloads. But that’s not to say that hosted hypervisors don’t have their place – they’re much simpler to set up, so they’re a good bet if, say, you need to deploy a test environment quickly.One of the best ways to determine which hypervisor meets your needs is to compare their performance metrics. These include CPU overhead, amount of maximum host and guest memory, and support for virtual processors.The following factors should be examined before choosing a suitable hypervisor:
1. Understand your needs: The company and its applications are the reason for the data center (and your job). Besides your company’s needs, you (and your co-workers in IT) also have your own needs.Needs for a virtualization hypervisor are:
g. Reliable support
2. The cost of a hypervisor: For many buyers, the toughest part of choosing a hypervisor is striking the right balance between cost and functionality. While a number of entry-level solutions are free, or practically free, the prices at the opposite end of the market can be staggering. Licensing frameworks also vary, so it’s important to be aware of exactly what you’re getting for your money.
3. Virtual machine performance: Virtual systems should meet or exceed the performance of their physical counterparts, at least in relation to the applications within each server. Everything beyond meeting this benchmark is profit.
4. Ecosystem: It’s tempting to overlook the role of a hypervisor’s ecosystem – that is, the availability of documentation, support, training, third-party developers and consultancies, and so on – in determining whether or not a solution is cost-effective in the long term.
5. Test for yourself: You can gain basic experience from your existing desktop or laptop. You can run both VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in either VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion to create a nice virtual learning and testing environment.
HYPERVISOR REFERENCE MODEL
There are 3 main modues coordinate in order to emiulate the undrelying hardware:
The dispatcher behaves like the entry point of the monitor and reroutes the instructions of the virtual machine instance to one of the other two modules.
The allocator is responsible for deciding the system resources to be provided to the virtual machine instance.It means whenever virtual machine tries to execute an instruction that results in changing the machine resources associated with the virtual machine, the allocator is invoked by the dispatcher.
The interpreter module consists of interpreter routines.These are executed, whenever virtual machine executes a priviliged instruction.
- Techniques to be an awesome Agile Developer (Part -1)
- Top Career Paths in Machine Learning
- Saving a file in Git
- Sphere - A Browser for Anonymity
- Self-Driving Car Technology
- Google Play Protect : How it Detects and Removes Malicious Apps?
- UI vs UX Design : Which Career Option Should You Choose?
- SEO - An Indispensable Tool
- Database Connection and Queries in Codeigniter
- How to Become a Full Stack Web Developer in 2019 : A Complete Guide
- 7 Most Recommended Programming Habits for Software Developers
- Angular vs ReactJS : Which one is Most In-Demand Frontend Development Framework in 2019?
- Facebook API | Set-2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : AmanRajput2