Get list of files and folders in Google Drive storage using Python
In this article, we are going to have a look at how can we get a list of files (or folders) stored in our Google Drive cloud storage using Google Drive API in Python. It is a REST API that allows you to leverage Google Drive storage from within your app or program.
So, let’s create a simple Python script that communicates with Google Drive API.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning - Basic Level Course
- Python (2.6 or higher)
- A Google account with Google Drive enabled
- Google API client and Google OAuth libraries
Install the required libraries by running this command:
pip install --upgrade google-api-python-client google-auth-httplib2 google-auth-oauthlib
Now, follow these steps to set up your Google account to work with Google Drive API.
- Go to Google Cloud console and sign in with your Google account.
- Create a new project.
- Go to APIs and Services.
- Enable Google Drive API for this project.
- Go to the OAuth Consent screen and configure the Consent screen for your project.
- Enter the name of your application. It will be shown on the consent screen.
- Now go to Credentials.
- Click on Create credentials, and go to OAuth Client ID.
- Enter your application’s name, and click Create.
- Your Client ID will be created. Download it to your computer and save it as credentials.json
NOTE: Do not share your CLIENT ID or CLIENT SECRETS with anyone.
Now, we are done with the setup and installation. So, let’s write the python script:
Now, run the script:
This will attempt to open a new window in your default browser. If this fails, copy the URL from the console and manually open it in your browser.
Now, Log in to your Google account if you aren’t already logged in. If there are multiple accounts, you will be asked to choose one of them. Then, click on the Allow button.
After the authentication has been completed, your browser will display a message saying The authentication flow has been completed. You may close this window.
Once the authentication has been completed, this will print the names of first N files (or folders) in your Google Drive storage.
Note: The file credentials.json should be in the same directory as the Python script. If not so, you have to specify the full path to the file in the program.