Given a string S containing letter and digit and an integer K where, and . The task is to return the K-th letter of the new string S’.
The new string S’ is formed from old string S by following steps:
1. If the character read is a letter, that letter is added at end of S’.
2. If the character read is a digit, then entire string S’ repeatedly written d-1 more times in total.
Note: The new string is guaranteed to have less than 2^63 letters.
Input: S = “geeks2for2”, K = 15
Explanation: The new string S’ = “geeksgeeksforgeeksgeeksfor”. The 15th letter is “e”.
Input: S = “a2345”, K = 100
Explanation: The new string S’=”a” repeated 120 times. The 100th letter is “a”.
Let us take a new string like S’ = “geeksgeeksgeeksgeeksgeeks” and an index K = 22, then the answer at K = 22 is the same if K = 2.
In general, when a string is equal to some word with size length repeated some number of times (such as geeks with size = 5 repeated 5 times), then the answer will be same for the index K as it is for the index K % size.
Using this insight and working backwards, we keep track of the size of the new string S’. Whenever the string S’ would equal some word repeated d times, we can reduce K to K % (lengthof(word)).
We first find the length of the new string S’. After, this we’ll work backwards, keeping track of size: the length of the new string after parsing symbols S, S, …, S[i].
If we see a digit S[i], it means the size of the new string after parsing S, S, …, S[i-1] will be (size / toInteger(S[i])). Otherwise, it will be size – 1.
Below is the implementation of above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N), where N is the length of S.
- String containing first letter of every word in a given string with spaces
- Count of words whose i-th letter is either (i-1)-th, i-th, or (i+1)-th letter of given word
- First uppercase letter in a string (Iterative and Recursive)
- Get the first letter of each word in a string using regex in Java
- Check if the string contains consecutive letters and each letter occurs exactly once
- Number of positions where a letter can be inserted such that a string becomes palindrome
- Queries to find the first non-repeating character in the sub-string of a string
- Queries to find the last non-repeating character in the sub-string of a given string
- Lexicographically smallest string formed by appending a character from the first K characters of a given string
- Lexicographically smallest string formed by appending a character from first K characters of a string | Set 2
- First non-repeating character using one traversal of string | Set 2
- Given a string, find its first non-repeating character
- Find the last non repeating character in string
- Check whether second string can be formed from characters of first string
- Replace two substrings (of a string) with each other
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.