Given a string, find the longest palindrome that can be constructed by removing or shuffling characters from the string. Return only one palindrome if there are multiple palindrome strings of longest length.
Input: abc Output: a OR b OR c Input: aabbcc Output: abccba OR baccab OR cbaabc OR any other palindromic string of length 6. Input: abbaccd Output: abcdcba OR ... Input: aba Output: aba
We can divide any palindromic string into three parts – beg, mid and end. For palindromic string of odd length say 2n + 1, ‘beg’ consists of first n characters of the string, ‘mid’ will consist of only 1 character i.e. (n + 1)th character and ‘end’ will consists of last n characters of the palindromic string. For palindromic string of even length 2n, ‘mid’ will always be empty. It should be noted that ‘end’ will be reverse of ‘beg’ in order for string to be palindrome.
The idea is to use above observation in our solution. As shuffling of characters is allowed, order of characters doesn’t matter in the input string. We first get frequency of each character in the input string. Then all characters having even occurrence (say 2n) in the input string will be part of the output string as we can easily place n characters in ‘beg’ string and the other n characters in the ‘end’ string (by preserving the palindromic order). For characters having odd occurrence (say 2n + 1), we fill ‘mid’ with one of all such characters. and remaining 2n characters are divided in halves and added at beginning and end.
Below is the implementation of above idea –
Time complexity of above solution is O(n) where n is length of the string. Since, number of characters in the alphabet is constant, they do not contribute to asymptotic analysis.
Auxiliary space used by the program is M where M is number of ASCII characters.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Return maximum occurring character in an input string
- Print all the duplicates in the input string
- Remove characters from the first string which are present in the second string
- Remove duplicates from a given string
- Print reverse of a string using recursion
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Divide a string in N equal parts
- Given a string, find its first non-repeating character
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Reverse words in a given string
- Find the smallest window in a string containing all characters of another string
- Longest Common Subsequence | DP-4
- Length of the longest substring without repeating characters
- Longest Non-palindromic substring
- Longest Palindromic Subsequence | DP-12