Find the length of a string without using any loops and string.h in C. Your program is supposed to behave in following way:
Enter a string: GeeksforGeeks (Say user enters GeeksforGeeks) Entered string is: GeeksforGeeks Length is: 13
You may assume that the length of entered string is always less than 100.
The following is solution.
Enter a string: GeeksforGeeks Entered string is: GeeksforGeeks Length is: 13
The idea is to use return values of printf() and gets().
gets() returns the enereed string.
printf() returns the number of characters successfully written on output.
In the above program, gets() returns the entered string. We print the length using the first printf. The second printf() calls gets() and prints the entered string using returned value of gets(), it also prints 20 extra characters for printing “Entered string is: ” and “\n”. That is why we subtract 20 from the returned value of second printf and get the length.
This article is contributed by Umesh Sharma. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Another way of finding the length of a string without using string.h or loops is Recursion.
The following program does the work of finding a length of a string using recursion.
The Function LengthofString calls itself until the character of string is’nt a null character it calls itself, when it calls itself it increases the value of the variable ‘n’ which stores number of times the function has been called and when it encounters the null character the function prints the value of ‘n’ and returns back in the same direction in which it was executed.
- How to write a running C code without main()?
- Print a long int in C using putchar() only
- C Programming Language Standard
- How to count set bits in a floating point number in C?
- Implement your own itoa()
- How to change the output of printf() in main() ?
- Write a C program that does not terminate when Ctrl+C is pressed
- How to measure time taken by a function in C?
- Print "Even" or "Odd" without using conditional statement
- Return values of printf() and scanf() in C/C++
- Condition To Print "HelloWord"
- Implement Your Own sizeof
- Write a one line C function to round floating point numbers
- Write a C program to print "Geeks for Geeks" without using a semicolon
- Program for Sum the digits of a given number
Improved By : Zeeking99