The terms Cyber Security and Information Security are often used interchangeably.As they both are responsible for security and protecting the computer system from threats and information breaches and often Cybersecurity and information security are so closely linked that they may seem synonymous and unfortunately, they are used synonymously.
If we talk about data security it’s all about securing the data from malicious user and threats. Now another question is that what is the difference between Data and Information? So one important point is that “not every data can be an information” data can be informed if it is interpreted in a context and given meaning. for example “100798” is data and if we know that it’s the date of birth of a person then it is information because it has some meaning.so information means data which has some meaning.
|CYBER SECURITY||INFORMATION SECURITY|
|It is the practice of protecting the data from outside the resource on the internet.||It is all about protecting information from unauthorized user, access and data modification or removal in order to provide confidentiality, integrity, and availability.|
|It is about the ability to protect the use of cyberspace from cyber attacks.||It deals with protection of data from any form of threat.|
|Cybersecurity to protect anything in the cyber realm.||Information security is for information irrespective of the realm.|
|Cybersecurity deals with danger against cyberspace.||Information security deals with the protection of data from any form of threat.|
|Cybersecurity strikes against Cyber crimes, cyber frauds and law enforcement.||Information security strives against unauthorised access, disclosure modification and disruption.|
|On the other hand cyber security professionals with cyber security deals with advanced persistent threat.||Information security professionals is the foundation of data security and security professionals associated with it prioritize resources first before dealing with threats.|
|It deals with threats that may or may not exist in the cyber realm such as a protecting your social media account, personal information, etc.||It deals with information Assets and integrity confidentiality and availability.|
Diagram are given below to represent the difference between Information Security and Cybersecurity.
In above diagram ICT refers for Information and communications technology (ICT) which is an extensional term for information technology (IT) that define the role of unified communications and the integration of telecommunications (basically digital communication security).
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Cyber Security and Cyber Crimes
- Difference between Network Security and Cyber Security
- Information Security and Cyber Laws
- Information Assurance Model in Cyber Security
- Difference between Information Security and Network Security
- How Security System Should Evolve to Handle Cyber Security Threats and Vulnerabilities?
- Principal of Information System Security : Security System Development Life Cycle
- Requirements and Responsibilities For Cyber Security Entry-Level Jobs
- Why are Smart Cities Most Vulnerable to Cyber Security Risks?
- Cyber Security in Context to Organisations
- Cyber Security in Cloud computing
- Cyber System Security
- 8 Cyber Security Threats That Can Ruin Your Day in 2020
- Zero-day Exploit (Cyber Security Attack)
- White Collar Crimes - Cyber Security
- Cyber Crime - Mobile Security Threats
- How to Become a Cyber Security Consultant?
- Pivoting - Moving Inside a Network (Cyber Security)
- Active and Passive attacks in Information Security
- Information System and Security
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.