Before Java 8, interfaces could have only abstract methods. The implementation of these methods has to be provided in a separate class. So, if a new method is to be added in an interface, then its implementation code has to be provided in the class implementing the same interface. To overcome this issue, Java 8 has introduced the concept of default methods which allow the interfaces to have methods with implementation without affecting the classes that implement the interface.
16 Default Method Executed
The default methods were introduced to provide backward compatibility so that existing interfaces can use the lambda expressions without implementing the methods in the implementation class. Default methods are also known as defender methods or virtual extension methods.
The interfaces can have static methods as well which is similar to static method of classes.
16 Static Method Executed
Default Methods and Multiple Inheritance
In case both the implemented interfaces contain default methods with same method signature, the implementing class should explicitly specify which default method is to be used or it should override the default method.
Default TestInterface1 Default TestInterface2
- Interfaces can have default methods with implementation in Java 8 on later.
- Interfaces can have static methods as well, similar to static methods in classes.
- Default methods were introduced to provide backward compatibility for old interfaces so that they can have new methods without affecting existing code.
This article is contributed by Akash Ojha. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Shadowing of static functions in Java
- How does default virtual behavior differ in C++ and Java ?
- How are Java objects stored in memory?
- How are parameters passed in Java?
- Are static local variables allowed in Java?
- final variables in Java
- Default constructor in Java
- Assigning values to static final variables in Java
- Comparison of Exception Handling in C++ and Java
- Does Java support goto?
- Arrays in Java
- Access specifier of methods in interfaces
- Inheritance and constructors in Java
- More restrictive access to a derived class method in Java
- Comparison of static keyword in C++ and Java
- Static blocks in Java
- Access specifiers for classes or interfaces in Java
- java.lang.Character class methods | Set 1
- Comparison of Inheritance in C++ and Java