Contour plots also called level plots are a tool for doing multivariate analysis and visualizing 3-D plots in 2-D space. If we consider X and Y as our variables we want to plot then the response Z will be plotted as slices on the X-Y plane due to which contours are sometimes referred as Z-slices or iso-response.
Contour plots are widely used to visualize density, altitudes or heights of the mountain as well as in the meteorological department. Due to such wide usage
matplotlib.pyplot provides a method
contour to make it easy for us to draw contour plots.
The matplotlib.pyplot.contour() are usually useful when Z = f(X, Y) i.e Z changes as a function of input X and Y. A
contourf() is also available which allows us to draw filled contours.
Syntax: matplotlib.pyplot.contour([X, Y, ] Z, [levels], **kwargs)
X, Y: 2-D numpy arrays with same shape as Z or 1-D arrays such that len(X)==M and len(Y)==N (where M and N are rows and columns of Z)
Z: The height values over which the contour is drawn. Shape is (M, N)
levels: Determines the number and positions of the contour lines / regions.
Below examples illustrate the
matplotlib.pyplot.contour() function in matplotlib.pyplot:
Example #1: Plotting of Contour using
contour() which only plots contour lines.
Example #2: Plotting of contour using
contourf() which plots filled contours.
- Carpet Contour Plot using Plotly in Python
- 3D Contour Plotting in Python using Matplotlib
- Matplotlib.axes.Axes.contour() in Python
- Matplotlib.pyplot.contour() in Python
- Contour Plots using Plotly in Python
- Surface plots and Contour plots in Python
- Exploration with Hexagonal Binning and Contour Plots
- PyQtGraph - Getting Plot Item from Plot Window
- Make a violin plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot the magnitude spectrum in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot the phase spectrum in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot Mathematical Expressions in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot the power spectral density using Matplotlib - Python
- Box Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot a pie chart in Python using Matplotlib
- Simple Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot 2-D Histogram in Python using Matplotlib
- Tri-Surface Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot a quadrilateral mesh in Python using Matplotlib
- Create a pseudocolor plot of an unstructured triangular grid in Python using Matplotlib
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.