A buffer flush is the transfer of computer data from a temporary storage area to the computer’s permanent memory. For instance if we make any changes in a file, the changes we see on one computer screen are stored temporarily in a buffer.
Usually a temporary file come into existence when we open any word document, and automatically destroyed when we close our main file. Thus when we save our work, the changes that we’ve made to our document since the last time we saved it are flushed from the buffer to permanent storage on the hard disk.
In C++, we can explicitly flushed to forced the buffer to be written. Generally std::endl function works the same by inserting new-line character and flushes the stream. stdout/cout is line-buffered that is the output doesn’t get sent to the OS until you write a newline or explicitly flush the buffer. For instance,
But there is certain disadvantage something like,
The above program will output 1 2 3 4 5 at once.
Therefore in such cases additional “flush” function is used to ensure that the output gets displayed according to our requirement. For instance,
The above program will program will print the numbers(1 2 3 4 5) one by one rather than once. The reason is flush function flushed the output to the file/terminal instantly.
- You can’t run the program on online compiler to see the difference, since they give output only when it terminates. Hence you need to run all above programs in offline complier like gcc or clang.
- Reading cin flushes cout so we don’t need an explicit flush to do this.
Related Article :
Use of fflush(stdin) in C
This article is contributed by Shubham Bansal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
- Buffer Overflow Attack with Example
- Clearing The Input Buffer In C/C++
- Different ways to use Const with Reference to a Pointer in C++
- std::to_address in C++ with Examples
- Program to create Custom Vector Class in C++
- std::is_trivially_copy_constructible in C/C++
- Difference between Python and C++
- tgamma() method in C/C++ with Examples
- boost::type_traits::is_array Template in C++
- boost is_pointer template in C++
- Modulo Operator (%) in C/C++ with Examples
- fpclassify() method in C/C++ with Examples
- Operator Overloading '<<' and '>>' operator in a linked list class
- How to find the Entry with largest Value in a C++ Map
Improved By : PaneerParatha69