Android | How to Create/Start a New Project in Android Studio?
After successfully installing the Android studio and opening it for the first time, a number of options appear as shown in the below images.
Below are the steps to start and set up a new android project in Android Studio.
- Select the first option to start a new android project.
- Then, name your application in the ‘Application name‘ Text box.
By default, the application name appears as “MyApplication”. Click on “Next” after filling the Application name field, leaving the other fields to their default values.
- Then select the Minimum SDK to select the operating system which must be least version to run your app, here “Jelly Bean” is made Minimum SDK, and phones and tablets with versions lower to this OS will not be able to run your apps. Click on “Next”.
- The next step is to choose the Activity to mobile. Activity in Android refers to a single screen with a user interface. For Beginners, “Empty Activity” is recommended.
- Then, fill the Activity name text field. By default, “MainActivity” is filled in this text box as the name of your activity. In android studio, files are usually named in camel case. An xml file of the activity is created using the first word in the Activity name. An xml file is a file to provide functionalities of user interface for our app.
Click on “Finish”.
Then, a default app is created with all default files. And you can now start writing the application code.