Page Scheduling, involves many different algorithms which have their Advantages and Disadvantages.
- It is simple and easy to understand & implement.
- The process effectiveness is low.
- When we increase the number of frames while using FIFO, we are giving more memory to processes. So, page fault should decrease, but here the page faults are increasing. This problem is called as Belady’s Anomaly.
- Every frame needs to be taken account off.
- It is open for full analysis.
- In this, we replace the page which is least recently used, thus free from Belady’s Anomaly.
- Easy to choose page which has faulted and hasn’t been used for a long time.
- It requires additional Data Structure to be implemented.
- Hardware assistance is high.
- Complexity is less and easy to implement.
- Assistance needed is low i.e Data Structure used are easy and light.
- OPR is perfect, but not possible in practice as the operating system cannot know future requests.
- Error handling is tough.
While FIFO and LRU have their share of advantages and disadvantages, OPR is used as a benchmark to measure the performance of other algorithms. So according to the situation appropriate algorithm is used.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of various CPU scheduling algorithms
- Advantages and Disadvantages of various Disk scheduling algorithms
- Belady's Anomaly in Page Replacement Algorithms
- Page Replacement Algorithms in Operating Systems
- Advantages and Disadvantages of SQL
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Subnetting
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Stored Procedures - SQL
- Advantages and Disadvantages of working in a Startup
- Optimal Page Replacement Algorithm
- Not Recently Used (NRU) page replacement algorithm
- Program for Least Recently Used (LRU) Page Replacement algorithm
- Second Chance (or Clock) Page Replacement Policy
- Implementation of Least Recently Used (LRU) page replacement algorithm using Counters
- How to pass form variables from one page to other page in PHP ?
- How to redirect a page to another page in HTML ?
- How to show Page Loading div until the page has finished loading?
- Image Replacement in Bootstrap using text-hide Class
- Page Table Entries in Page Table
- Advantages of Database Management System
- Advantages of DBMS over File system
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.