Advantages and Disadvantages of Fibre optic Cable
Fiber Optic Cable :
A Fiber Optic Cable is used to transmit data through fibers (threads) or plastic (glass). During this pack of glass which are within sorts of threads transmit modulated message along sunshine wave. There are many advantages by using these cables over other kinds of communication cables like bandwidth of these cables is high, less vulnerable than metal cables to interference, less thin, lighter, and thus info are often transmitted within type of digitally.
Most disadvantages of those cables are installation is dear, more delicate and difficult to repair together. A fiber optic cable is formed by drawing glass or special sort of plastic, which can transmit light from one end of fiber to a special end. glass fiber cables use light signals to transmit data signals instead of traditional electrical signals. Twisted pair cables use current to transfer data signals.
Generally, there are three sorts of fiber optic cables: 2 glass glass fiber —single mode fiber optic cable and multimode optical fiber, also as plastic glass fiber (POF).
- The “mode” in fiber optic cable refers to trail during which light travels. Single mode fiber features a smaller core diameter of 9 microns (8.3 microns to be exact) and only allows one wavelength and pathway for light to travel, which greatly decreases light reflections and lowers attenuation.
- Multimode optical fiber features a bigger core diameter than that of single mode fiber optic cable, which allows multiple pathways and variety of other wavelengths of sunshine to be transmitted. Multimode optical fiber is out there in two sizes, 50 microns and 62.5 microns. it’s commonly used for brief distances, including patch cable applications like fiber to desktop or patch panel to equipment, data and audio/video applications in LANs. consistent with fiber index of refraction distribution, multimode fiber are often divided into two types: Step-Index Multimode Fiber vs Graded-Index Multimode Fiber.
- POF may be a large core step-index glass fiber with a typical diameter of 1 mm. Massive size enables it to easily couple many light from sources and connectors that do not need to be high precision. So typical connector costs are 10-20% the utmost amount as for glass fibers and termination is simple. Being plastic, it’s more durable and should be installed in minutes with minimal tools and training. For applications don’t require high bandwidth over great distances, POF is more competitive, making it a viable option for desktop LAN connections and low speed short links.
The advantages of optical fiber include the following.
- Bandwidth is above copper cables
- Less power loss and allows data transmission for extended distances
- Optical cable is resistance for electromagnetic interference
- Fiber cable is sized as 4.5 times which is best than copper wires
- As cable are lighter, thinner, in order that they use less area as compared to copper wires
- Installation is extremely easy thanks to less weight.
- Optical fiber cable is extremely hard to tap because they don’t produce electromagnetic energy. These optical fiber cables are very secure for transmitting data.
- This cable opposes most acidic elements that hit copper wired also are flexible in nature.
- Optical fiber cable are often made cheaper than equivalent lengths of copper wire.
- Light has fastest speed within universe, such a lot faster signals
- Fiber optic cables allow much more cable than copper twisted pair cables.
- Fiber optic cables have how more bandwidth than copper twisted pair cables.
The disadvantages of glass fiber include the subsequent :
- These cable are very difficult to merge so there’ll be loss of beam within cable
- Installation of those cables is cost-effective. they’re not as robust because wires. Special equipment is typically required to optical fiber.
- These cable are highly vulnerable while fitting
- These cables are more delicate than copper wires.
- Special devices are needed to ascertain transmission of fiber cable.
- Fiber optic cable is dear to put in. It needs costly splicing machines and trained specialists to place in fiber optic cables.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.