Given two string variables a and b, swap these variables without using temporary or third variable in Java. Use of library methods is allowed.
Input: a = "Hello" b = "World" Output: Strings before swap: a = Hello and b = World Strings after swap: a = World and b = Hello
The idea is to string concatenation and substring() method to perform this operation. The substring() method comes in two forms as listed below:
- substring(int beginindex): This function will return substring of the calling string starting from the index passed as argument to this function till the last character in the calling string.
- substring(int beginindex,int endindex): This function will return Substring of the calling string starting from the beginindex(inclusive) and ending at the endindex(exclusive) passed as argument to this function.
1) Append second string to first string and store in first string: a = a + b 2) call the method substring(int beginindex, int endindex) by passing beginindex as 0 and endindex as, a.length() - b.length(): b = substring(0,a.length()-b.length()); 3) call the method substring(int beginindex) by passing b.length() as argument to store the value of initial b string in a a = substring(b.length());
Strings before swap: a = Hello and b = World Strings after swap: a = World and b = Hello
This article is contributed by Harsh Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- User-defined Custom Exception in Java
- Using TreeMap to sort User-defined Objects in Java
- How to create a Java HashMap of user defined class type?
- How to create a user defined javap tool?
- Using _ (underscore) as variable name in Java
- Instance variable as final in Java
- Variable Arguments (Varargs) in Java
- Instance Variable Hiding in Java
- Final static variable in Java
- How to read a Matrix from user in Java?
- How to get the value of System Property and Environment Variable in Java?
- How to swap or exchange objects in Java?
- Local Variable Type Inference or LVTI in Java 10
- What is the difference between field, variable, attribute, and property in Java
- Initialization of local variable in a conditional block in Java
- Swap two variables in one line in C/C++, Python, PHP and Java
- Collections swap() method in Java with Examples
- Swapping items of a list in Java : Collections.swap() with Example
- Java program to swap first and last characters of words in a sentence
- Unreachable statement using final and non-final variable in Java
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai