static is a modifier in C# which is applicable for the following:
It is also applicable to properties, event, and operators. To create a static member(class, variable, methods, constructor), precede its declaration with the keyword static. When a member is declared static, it can be accessed with the name of its class directly.
A static class is declared with the help of static keyword. A static class can only contain static data members, static methods, and a static constructor. It is not allowed to create objects of the static class. Static classes are sealed, means one cannot inherit a static class from another class.
Topic name is : Static class
A static variable is declared with the help of static keyword. When a variable is declared as static, then a single copy of the variable is created and shared among all objects at the class level. Static variables are accessed with the name of the class, they do not require any object for access.
Color of XY model is : Black
A static method is declared with the help of static keyword. Static methods are accessed with the name of the class. A static method can access static and non-static fields, static fields are directly accessed by the static method without class name whereas non-static fields require objects.
Total number of national parks present in India is :104
A static constructor is declared with the help of static keyword. Static Constructor has to be invoked only once in the class and it has been invoked during the creation of the first reference to a static member in the class. A static constructor is initialized static fields or data of the class and to be executed only once.
Points To Remember:
- It can’t be called directly.
- When it is executing, then the user has no control.
- It does not take access modifiers or any parameters.
- It is called automatically to initialize the class before the first instance created.
Example of Static Constructor Instance Constructor 1 Name: Sunil Branch: CSE Instance Constructor 2 Name: Sweta Branch: ECE
Limitation of using static keyword:
- static keyword cannot be used by indexers, finalizers, or types other than classes.
- A static member is not referenced through an instance.
- In C#, it is not allowed to use this to reference static methods or property accessors.
- In C#, if static keyword is used with the class, then the static class always contain static members.
- C# | Difference between Static Constructors and Non-Static Constructors
- C# | this Keyword
- Is vs As operator keyword in C#
- LINQ | Let Keyword
- C# | is Operator Keyword
- C# | finally keyword
- C# | as Operator Keyword
- typeof Operator Keyword in C#
- How to implement is functionality without using is keyword in C#
- Invoking an overloaded constructor using this keyword in C#
- Difference between readonly and const keyword in C#
- C# | Static Class
- Static Local Function in C# 8.0
- Default Interface Methods in C# 8.0
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.