Python provides an inbuilt function round() which rounds off to the given number of digits and returns the floating point number, if no number of digits is provided for round off , it rounds off the number to the nearest integer.
round(number, number of digits)
..1) number - number to be rounded ..2) number of digits (Optional) - number of digits up to which the given number is to be rounded.
If the second parameter is missing, then round() function returns:
..a) if only an integer is given , as 15 , then it will round off to 15.
..b) if a decimal number is given , then it will round off to the ceil integer after that if decimal value has >=5 , and it will round off to the floor integer if decimal is <5.
Below is the python implementation of the round() function if the second parameter is missing.
15 52 52 51
When the second parameter is present, then it returns:
The last decimal digit till which it is rounded is increased by 1 when (ndigit+1)th digit is >=5 , else it stays the same.
Below is the python implementation of the round() function if the second parameter is present
2.67 2.68 2.67
Error and Exceptions
TypeError : This error is raised in the case when there is anything other than numbers in the parameters.
Runtime Errors: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/ccdcfc451ab046030492e0e758d42461.py", line 1, in print(round("a", 2)) TypeError: type str doesn't define __round__ method
One of the common uses of rounding of functions is Handling the mismatch between fractions and decimal .
One use of rounding numbers is shorten all the three’s to the right of the decimal point in converting 1/3 to decimal. Most of the time, you will use the rounded numbers 0.33 or 0.333 when you need to work with 1/3 in decimal. In fact, you usually work with just two or three digits to the right of the decimal point when there is no exact equivalent to the fraction in decimal. How would you show 1/6 in decimal? Remember to round up!
Note: In python if we round of numbers to floor or ceil without giving the second parameter , it will return 15.0 for example and in Python 3 it returns 15 , so to avoid this we can use (int) type conversion in python.
- Python | Pandas dataframe.round()
- Python | Pandas Series.round()
- Python | Pandas DatetimeIndex.round()
- Python | Pandas TimedeltaIndex.round
- Python | Pandas Timestamp.round
- Python | Pandas Series.dt.round
- Python | Numpy matrix.round()
- Python - tensorflow.math.round()
- Ceil and floor of the dataframe in Pandas Python – Round up and Truncate
- Python - Round Off Dictionary Values to K decimals
- How to Round Numbers in Python?
- Program to calculate the Round Trip Time (RTT)
- PyQt5 – Round indicator of CheckBox
- PyQt5 - How to make Round Radio Button ?
- Methods to Round Values in Pandas DataFrame
- How to round elements of the NumPy array to the nearest integer?
- How to round array elements to the given number of decimals using NumPy?
- Python - Call function from another function
- Wand function() function in Python
- Returning a function from a function - Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : gopi2708