Sometimes, while working with Python lists, we can have a problem in which we need to perform a sort in list. There are many variations of sorting that might be required to perform. Once such variation can be to sort elements of list, but keeping in mind, positive elements appear before negative elements. Let’s discuss a way in which this task can be performed.
Method : Using
sorted() + lambda
This task can be performed using combination of above functions. In this, the logic we apply is computing inverse and negative of each number and then perform the sort using
sorted(). The inversion makes sure that larger magnitude elements occur at middle and smaller at ends ( hill arrangement ) and negative takes care of making positives occur before negatives.
The original list is : [4, -8, -6, 3, -5, 8, 10, 5, -19] Result after performing sort operation : [3, 4, 5, 8, 10, -19, -8, -6, -5]
- Lambda expression in Python to rearrange positive and negative numbers
- Python program to count positive and negative numbers in a list
- Python | Counting sign change in list containing Positive and Negative Integers
- Python | Segregate Positive and Negative Integers from mixed string
- Python Program to Check Whether a Number is Positive or Negative or zero
- Highlight the negative values red and positive values black in Pandas Dataframe
- Program to check if a number is Positive, Negative, Odd, Even, Zero
- Python - Rearrange elements second index greater than first
- Python - Remove Negative Elements in List
- Python | Get positive elements from given list of lists
- Python - Maximum length consecutive positive elements
- Python program to find Tuples with positive elements in List of tuples
- Python - Calculate the percentage of positive elements of the list
- How to compute numerical negative value for all elements in a given NumPy array?
- Negative transformation of an image using Python and OpenCV
- Python - Rearrange list by other list order
- Python - Rearrange dictionary for consective value-keys
- Python program to print all negative numbers in a range
- Python program to print negative numbers in a list
- numpy.negative() in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.