Given two lists a, b. Check if two lists have at least one element common in them.
Input : a = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] b = [5, 6, 7, 8, 9] Output : True Input : a=[1, 2, 3, 4, 5] b=[6, 7, 8, 9] Output : False
Method 1 : Traversal of List
Using traversal in two lists, we can check if there exists one common element at least in them. While traversing two lists if we find one element to be common in them, then we return true. After complete traversal and checking, if no elements are same, then we return false.
Method 2 : Using Set and Property
Using set’s and property, if there exists at least one common element then set(a)&set(b) returns a positive integer, if it does not contains any positive integer, then it returns 0. So we insert a in set_a and b in set_b and then check if set_a & set_b for a positive integer or not.
Method 3 : Using Set Intersection
Using set’s intersection inbuilt function. a_set.intersection(b_set) returns a positive integer if there is at least one element in common, else it returns 0. So we insert a in set_a and b in set_b and then check a_set.intersection(b_set), and returns depending on the value.
- Python | Check if two lists have any element in common
- Python | Check if element exists in list of lists
- Python program to check if given value occurs atleast k times
- Python | Check if k occurs atleast n times in a list
- Python | Count of common elements in the lists
- Python | Print all the common elements of two lists
- Python | Find common elements in list of lists
- Python program to find common elements in three lists using sets
- Python | Find most common element in a 2D list
- Python | Find most common element in each column in a 2D list
- Python | Concatenate two lists element-wise
- Python | Merge two list of lists according to first element
- Python | Remove given element from list of lists
- Python | Merge List with common elements in a List of Lists
- Python | Check if two lists are identical
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.