Given two lists a, b. Check if two lists have at least one element common in them.
Input : a = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] b = [5, 6, 7, 8, 9] Output : True Input : a=[1, 2, 3, 4, 5] b=[6, 7, 8, 9] Output : False
Method 1 : Traversal of List
Using traversal in two lists, we can check if there exists one common element at least in them. While traversing two lists if we find one element to be common in them, then we return true. After complete traversal and checking, if no elements are same, then we return false.
Method 2 : Using Set and Property
Using set’s and property, if there exists at least one common element then set(a)&set(b) returns a positive integer, if it does not contains any positive integer, then it returns 0. So we insert a in set_a and b in set_b and then check if set_a & set_b for a positive integer or not.
Method 3 : Using Set Intersection
Using set’s intersection inbuilt function. a_set.intersection(b_set) returns a positive integer if there is at least one element in common, else it returns 0. So we insert a in set_a and b in set_b and then check a_set.intersection(b_set), and returns depending on the value.
- Python | Check if two lists have any element in common
- Python | Check if element exists in list of lists
- Python | Check if k occurs atleast n times in a list
- Python program to check if given value occurs atleast k times
- Python | Print all the common elements of two lists
- Python | Count of common elements in the lists
- Python | Find common elements in list of lists
- Python program to find common elements in three lists using sets
- Python | Find most common element in a 2D list
- Python | Merge List with common elements in a List of Lists
- Python | Find most common element in each column in a 2D list
- Python | Concatenate two lists element-wise
- Python | Remove given element from list of lists
- Python | Merge two list of lists according to first element
- Python - Diagonal element addition among lists
- Python | Check if two lists are identical
- Python - How to Check if two lists are reverse equal
- Python | Check whether two lists follow same pattern or not
- Python | Check whether two lists are circularly identical
- Python | Program to count number of lists in a list of lists
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.