Assertions in any programming language are the debugging tools which help in smooth flow of code. Assertions are mainly assumptions that a programmer knows always wants to be true and hence puts them in code so that failure of them doesn’t allow the code to execute further.
assert keyword helps in achieving this task. This statement simply takes input a boolean condition, which when returns true doesn’t return anything, but if it is computed to be false, then it raises an
AssertionError along with the optional message provided.
Syntax : assert condition, error_message(optional)
condition : The boolean condition returning true or false.
error_message : The optional argument to be printed in console in case of
AssertionError, in case the condition evaluates to false along with the error message which when provided.
The value of a/b is :
Runtime Exception :
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/40545678b342ce3b70beb1224bed345f.py", line 10, in assert b != 0, "Divide by 0 error" AssertionError: Divide by 0 error
Practical Application : This has a much greater utility in testing and Quality assurance role in any development domain. Different types of assertions are used depending upon the application. Below is the simpler demonstration of program that only allows only the batch with all hot food to be dispatched, else rejects whole batch.
40 is O.K 26 is O.K 39 is O.K 30 is O.K
Runtime Exception :
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/bd45fb65343814a85b6c19bbe366b419.py", line 13, in assert i >= 26, "Batch is Rejected" AssertionError: Batch is Rejected
- Python in Keyword
- is keyword in Python
- finally keyword in Python
- Global keyword in Python
- Keyword Module in Python
- Python | yield Keyword
- Python IMDbPY - Searching keyword
- Use of nonlocal vs use of global keyword in Python
- Python | Passing dictionary as keyword arguments
- How to check if a string is a valid keyword in Python?
- Python program to check if a given string is Keyword or not
- Python IMDbPY – Searching movies matching with keyword
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.