Prerequisite: Pointers vs References in C++.
For clear understanding, let’s compare the usage of a “pointer to pointer” VS “Reference to pointer” in some cases.
Note: It is allowed to use “pointer to pointer” in both C and C++, but we can use “Reference to pointer” only in C++.
Passing pointer to a function
If a pointer is passed to a function as a parameter and tried to be modified then the changes made to the pointer does not reflects back outside that function. This is because only a copy of the pointer is passed to the function. It can be said that “pass by pointer” is passing a pointer by value. In most cases, this does not present a problem. But the problem comes when you modify the pointer inside the function. Instead of modifying the variable, you are only modifying a copy of the pointer and the original pointer remains unmodified.
Below program illustrate this:
Passing Pointer to function: Before :23 After :23
Passing “pointer to a pointer” as a parameter to function
The above problem can be resolved by passing the address of the pointer to the function instead of a copy of the actual function. For this, the function parameter should accept a “pointer to pointer” as shown in the below program:
Passing a pointer to a pointer to function Before :23 After :42
How to call a function with “Reference to pointer” parameter?
A reference allows called function to modify a local variable of the caller function. For example, consider the following example program where fun() is able to modify local variable x of main().
New value of x is 20
Below program shows how to pass a “Reference to a pointer” to a function:
Passing a Reference to a pointer to function Before :23 After :42
Returning a pointer from a function
Return a pointer from a function Before :23 After :42
Returning reference from function
Returing a Reference Before :23 After :42
- Passing by pointer Vs Passing by Reference in C++
- Different ways to use Const with Reference to a Pointer in C++
- When do we pass arguments by reference or pointer?
- Reference to a pointer in C++ with examples and applications
- Double Pointer (Pointer to Pointer) in C
- Output of the program | Dereference, Reference, Dereference, Reference....
- What is a Pointer to a Null pointer
- Passing and Returning Objects in C++
- Parameter Passing Techniques in C/C++
- Passing a vector to constructor in C++
- Passing vector to a function in C++
- Passing NULL to printf in C
- Message Passing in Java
- How to delete an element from the Set by passing its value in C++
- Perl | Passing Complex Parameters to a Subroutine
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai