Following are the differences between malloc() and operator new.:
- Calling Constructors: new calls constructors, while malloc() does not. In fact primitive data types (char, int, float.. etc) can also be initialized with new. For example, below program prints 10.
// Initialization with new()
cout << *n;
- operator vs function: new is an operator, while malloc() is a function.
- return type: new returns exact data type, while malloc() returns void *.
- Failure Condition: On failure, malloc() returns NULL where as new throws bad_alloc exception.
- Memory: In case of new, memory is allocated from free store where as in malloc() memory allocation is done from heap.
- Overriding: We are allowed to override new operator where as we can not override the malloc() function legally.
- Size: Required size of memory is calculated by compiler for new, where as we have to manually calculate size for malloc().
- Buffer Size: malloc() allows to change the size of buffer using realloc() while new doesn’t
|calls constructor||doesnot calls constructors|
|It is an operator||It is a function|
|Returns exact data type||Returns void *|
|on failure, Throws||On failure, returns NULL|
|Memory allocated from free store||Memory allocated from heap|
|can be overridden||cannot be overridden|
|size is calculated by compiler||size is calculated manually|
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect in the above post, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
- calloc() versus malloc()
- Function Interposition in C with an example of user defined malloc()
- Dynamic Memory Allocation in C using malloc(), calloc(), free() and realloc()
- Minimum cells to be flipped to get a 2*2 submatrix with equal elements
- Nested Loops in C++ with Examples
- Slack Bytes in Structures : Explained with Example
- _Find_first() function in C++ bitset with Examples
- _Find_next() function in C++ bitset with Examples
- Left-Right traversal of all the levels of N-ary tree
- Difference between Iterators and Pointers in C/C++ with Examples
- ostream::seekp(pos) method in C++ with Exmaples
- Default Methods in C++ with Examples
- C program to count number of vowels and consonants in a String
- Nested Loops in C with Examples
Improved By : Yash Kumar Atri