Everybody who has programmed in C programming language must be aware about “goto” and “labels” used in C to jump within a C function. GCC provides an extension to C called “local labels”.
Conventional Labels vs Local Labels
Conventional labels in C have function scope. Where as local label can be scoped to a inner nested block. Therefore, conventional Labels cannot be declared more than once in a function and that is where local labels are used.
A label can appear more than once in function when the label is inside a macro and macro is expanded multiple times in a function. For example if a macro funcMacro() has definition which involves jump instructions (goto statement) within the block and funcMacro is used by a function foo() several times.
In such a function foo() , the function macro will be expanded two times.
This will result in having more than one definition of label ‘x’ in a function, which leads to confusion to the compiler and results in compilation error. In such cases local labels are useful.
The above problem can be avoided by using local labels. A local label are declared as below:
Local label declarations must come at the beginning of the block, before any ordinary declarations or statements.
Below is C example where a macro IS_STR_EMPTY() is expanded multiple times. Since local labels have block scope and every expansion of macro causes a new do while block, the program compiles and runs fine.
string is empty string = geeksForgeeks
This article is contributed by Kashish Bhatia. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Data type of case labels of switch statement in C++?
- Can we access global variable if there is a local variable with same name?
- Local Classes in C++
- Difference between Static and Dynamic Memory Allocation in C
- How does Volatile qualifier of C works in Computing System
- Header files in C/C++ with Examples
- C Programming For Beginners - A 20 Day Curriculum!
- Tr0ll 3 Walkthrough of Check the Flag or CTF Problem
- What are the C programming concepts used as Data Structures
- Array of Structures vs. Array within a Structure in C/C++
- Difference between Identifiers and Variables in C
- Difference between C and Objective C
- Strict Aliasing Rule in C with Examples
- Difference between C and Dart