The indexOf() method of ArrayList returns the index of the first occurrence of the specified element in this list, or -1 if this list does not contain the element.
public int IndexOf(Object o) obj : The element to search for.
The initial values in ArrayList are : 1 2 3 4 The element 3 is at index : 2
Practical Application : The index functions are mostly useful to determine last or first occurrence of events, for example last occurrence of 6 in a throw of a die, or 1st occurrence of any letter in a name etc.
One more example:
The first occurrence of 6 is : 4 The last occurrence of 6 is : 9
This article is contributed by Shambhavi Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Java.Lang.Float class in Java
- Java.io.BufferedInputStream class in Java
- Java.io.ObjectInputStream Class in Java | Set 1
- Java.util.BitSet class in Java with Examples | Set 1
- Java.io.File Class in Java
- Java.io.BufferedWriter class methods in Java
- Java.io.DataOutputStream in Java
- Java.io.StreamTokenizer Class in Java | Set 1
- Java.io.InputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.SequenceInputStream in Java
- Java.io.StreamTokenizer Class in Java | Set 2
- Java.io.Console class in Java
- Java.io.FilterOutputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.StringWriter class in Java
- Java.io.CharArrayReader Class in Java
- Java.io.FileInputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.CharArrayWriter class in Java | Set 1
- Java.io.CharArrayWriter class in Java | Set 2
- Java.io.DataInputStream class in Java | Set 1
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai