Int is a smaller data type than long. Int is a 32-bit integer while long is a 64-bit integer. They both are primitive data types and the usage depends on how large the number is.
Input: intnum = 5 Output: longnum = 5 Input: intnum = 56 Output: longnum = 56
Int can be converted to long in two simple ways:
- Using a simple assignment. This is known as implicit type casting or type promotion, the compiler automatically converts smaller data types to larger data types.
- Using valueOf() method of the Long wrapper class in java which converts int to long.
- In this, we are simply assigning an integer data type to a long data type.
- Since integer is a smaller data type compared to long, the compiler automatically converts int to long, this is known as Implicit type casting or type promotion.
Converted type : java.lang.Long After converting into long: 5
- In this, we are converting int to long using valueOf() method of Long Wrapper class.
- The valueOf() method accepts an integer as an argument and returns a long value after the conversion.
Converted type : java.lang.Long After converting into long: 56
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.