isalpha(c) is a function in C which can be used to check if the passed character is an alphabet or not. It returns a non-zero value if it’s an alphabet else it returns 0. For example, it returns non-zero values for ‘a’ to ‘z’ and ‘A’ to ‘Z’ and zeroes for other characters.
Similarly, isdigit(c) is a function in C which can be used to check if the passed character is a digit or not. It returns a non-zero value if it’s a digit else it returns 0. For example, it returns a non-zero value for ‘0’ to ‘9’ and zero for others.
Avoiding common errors : It is important to note this article does not cover strings! Only Cstrings. Cstrings are an array of single characters (char) in their behaviour. There are advantages and disadvantages to this.
Example Problem : Given a cstring str, find the number of alphabetic letters and number of decimal digits in that cstring.
Input: 12abc12 Output: Alphabetic_letters = 3, Decimal_digits = 4 Input: 123 GeeksForGeeks is Number 1 Output: Alphabetic_letters = 21, Decimal_digits = 4
Explanation And Approach:
Alphabetic_letters = 3, Decimal_digits = 4
This article is contributed by Mazhar Imam Khan. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- strtok() and strtok_r() functions in C with examples
- Commonly used String functions in C/C++ with Examples
- asctime() and asctime_s() functions in C with Examples
- Functions in C/C++
- Nested functions in C
- Searching in a map using std::map functions in C++
- Thread functions in C/C++
- C | Functions | Question 10
- C | Functions | Question 9
- C | Functions | Question 8
- C++ Mathematical Functions
- Inline Functions in C++
- Macros vs Functions
- C | Functions | Question 11
- C | Functions | Question 7
Improved By : BrenlyDrake