Steganography is the method of hiding secret data in any image/audio/video. In a nutshell, the main motive of steganography is to hide the intended information within any image/audio/video that doesn’t appear to be secret just by looking at.
The idea behind image-based Steganography is very simple. Images are composed of digital data (pixels), which describes what’s inside the picture, usually the colors of all the pixels. Since we know every image is made up of pixels and every pixel contains 3-values (red, green, blue).
Encode the data :
Every byte of data is converted to its 8-bit binary code using ASCII values. Now pixels are read from left to right in a group of 3 containing a total of 9 values. The first 8-values are used to store the binary data. The value is made odd, if 1 occurs and even, if 0 occurs.
For example :
Suppose the message to be hidden is ‘
Hii ‘. Since the message is of 3-bytes, therefore, pixels required to encode the data is 3 x 3 = 9. Consider a 4 x 3 image with total 12-pixels, which are sufficient to encode the given data.
[(27, 64, 164), (248, 244, 194), (174, 246, 250), (149, 95, 232), (188, 156, 169), (71, 167, 127), (132, 173, 97), (113, 69, 206), (255, 29, 213), (53, 153, 220), (246, 225, 229), (142, 82, 175)]
ASCII value of ‘ H ‘ is 72 whose binary equivalent is
Taking first 3-pixels (27, 64, 164), (248, 244, 194), (174, 246, 250) to encode. Now change the pixel to odd for 1 and even for 0. So, the modifies pixels are (26, 63, 164), (248, 243, 194), (174, 246, 250). Since we have to encode more data, therefore, the last value should be even. Similarly, ‘
i‘ can be encoded in this image.
The new image will look like :
[(26, 63, 164), (248, 243, 194), (174, 246, 250), (148, 95, 231), (188, 155, 168), (70, 167, 126), (132, 173, 97), (112, 69, 206), (254, 29, 213), (53, 153, 220), (246, 225, 229), (142, 82, 175)]
Decode the data :
To decode, three pixels are read at a time, till the last value is odd, which means the message is over. Every 3-pixels contain a binary data, which can be extracted by the same encoding logic. If the value if odd the binary bit is 1 else 0.
Below is the implementation of above idea :
- LSB based Image steganography using MATLAB
- Text extraction from image using LSB based steganography
- Computer Network | Image Steganography
- Project Idea | (Model based Image Compression of Medical Images)
- Project Idea | (Optimization of Object-Based Image Analysis with Super-Pixel for Land Cover Mapping)
- Getting started with Scikit-image: image processing in Python
- Converting an image to ASCII image in Python
- Image Processing in Java | Set 3 (Colored image to greyscale image conversion)
- Image Processing in Java | Set 4 (Colored image to Negative image conversion)
- Image Processing in Java | Set 6 (Colored image to Sepia image conversion)
- Operating System | Process-based and Thread-based Multitasking
- Thread-based parallelism in Python
- Movie recommendation based on emotion in Python
- Filtering Images based on size attributes in Python
- Python | Sort tuple based on occurrence of first element
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : PratikBhattacharjee2