How to overload main method in java?
Method Overloading can be defined as a feature in which a class can have more than one method having the same name if and only if they differ by number of parameters or the type of parameters or both, then they may or may not have same return type. Method overloading is one of the ways that java support Polymorphism.
Yes, We can overload the main method in java but JVM only calls the original main method, it will never call our overloaded main method.
Below example illustrates the overloading of main() in java
As from above example, it is clear that every time original main method executes but not the overloaded methods because JVM only executes the original main method by default but not the overloaded one.
So, to execute overloaded methods of main, we must call them from the original main method.
In this example, we will execute all the Overloads of the main method one by one
Original main() Executing Hello main() overloaded method 1 Executing true main() overloaded method 2 Executing Geeks For Geeks main() overloaded method 3 Executing 987654
Overriding main() method in java?
Whenever we do inheritance in java then if a method in subclass has the same name and type signature as a method in its parent class or superclass, then it is said that the method in subclass is overriding the method of parent class. Method overriding is one of the way that java supports run time Polymorphism.
No, we cannot override main method of java because a static method cannot be overridden.
The static method in java is associated with class whereas the non-static method is associated with an object. Static belongs to the class area, static methods don’t need an object to be called. Static methods can be called directly by using the classname ( classname.static_method_name() ).
So, whenever we try to execute the derived class static method, it will automatically execute the base class static method.
Therefore, it is not possible to override the main method in java.
To know more about Overriding static method in java Visit here
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Can we Overload or Override static methods in java ?
- finalize() method in Java and how to override it
- Is main method compulsory in Java?
- Static Block and main() method in Java
- Can we override private methods in Java?
- Why to Override equals(Object) and hashCode() method ?
- In Java, Can we call the main() method of a class from another class?
- Main thread in Java
- GFact 48 | Overloading main() in Java
- Valid variants of main() in Java
- Replacing 'public' with 'private' in "main" in Java
- What are the main differences between the Java platform and other platforms?
- Understanding public static void main(String args) in Java
- Execute main() multiple times without using any other function or condition or recursion in Java
- Does JVM create object of Main class (the class with main())?
- Understanding "static" in "public static void main" in Java
- What does main() return in C and C++?
- How to override the CSS properties of a class using another CSS class ?
- return statement vs exit() in main()
- Main App Implements Runnable | Concurrent Programming Approach 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.