The java.lang.Double.compareTo() is a built-in method in java that compares two Double objects numerically. This method returns 0 if this object is equal to the argument object, it returns less than 0 if this object is numerically less than the argument object and a value greater than 0 if this object is numerically greater than the argument object.
public int compareTo(Object obj)
Parameter: The method accepts one parameter.
obj – The object which is to be compared to.
Return Values: The function can return three values:
- equal to 0: Object is equal to the argument object
- less than 0: Object is less than the argument object
- greater than 0: Object is greater than the argument object
Below programs illustrates the working of java.lang.Double.compareTo() method:
Program 1: When both objects are different.
object1 is less than object2
Program 2: When no argument is passed.
prog.java:14: error: method compareTo in class Double cannot be applied to given types; int compareValue = obj1.compareTo(); ^ required: Double found: no arguments reason: actual and formal argument lists differ in length 1 error
Program 3: When anything other than object is passed as an argument.
prog.java:15: error: incompatible types: String cannot be converted to Double int compareValue = obj1.compareTo("gfg"); ^ Note: Some messages have been simplified; recompile with -Xdiags:verbose to get full output 1 error
- Java lang.Long.numberOfTrailingZeros() method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.numberOfLeadingZeros() method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.lowestOneBit() method in Java with Examples
- Java.lang.Short toString() method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.highestOneBit() method in Java with Examples
- Java.util.Collections.disjoint() Method in java with Examples
- Java.util.Collections.rotate() Method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.builtcount() method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.byteValue() method in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.reverse() method in Java with Examples
- Java Clock tickMinutes() method in Java with Examples
- Java Clock withZone() method in Java with Examples
- Java 8 | ArrayDeque removeIf() method in Java with Examples
- Map get() method in Java with Examples
- Set contains() method in Java with Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.