Structured Query Language (SQL) is a standard Database language which is used to create, maintain and retrieve the relational database. The advantages of SQL are:
- SQL could be a high level language that has a larger degree of abstraction than procedural languages.
- It enables the systems personnel end-users to deal with a number of database management systems where it is available.
- Portability. Such porting could be required when the underlying DBMS needs to be upgraded or changed.
- SQL specifies what’s needed and not however it ought to be done.
Introduction to PL/SQL:
PL/SQL is a block structured language that enables developers to combine the power of SQL with procedural statements.All the statements of a block are passed to oracle engine all at once which increases processing speed and decreases the traffic. PL/SQL stands for “Procedural language extensions to SQL.” PL/SQL is a database-oriented programming language that extends SQL with procedural capabilities. It was developed by Oracle Corporation within the early 90’s to boost the capabilities of SQL.
PL/SQL adds selective (i.e. if…then…else…) and iterative constructs (ie. loops) to SQL. PL/SQL is most helpful to put in writing triggers and keep procedures. Stored procedures square measure units of procedural code keep during a compiled type inside the info. Advantages of PL/SQL are as following below:
- Block structures: It consists of blocks of code, which can be nested within each other. Each block forms a unit of a task or a logical module. PL/SQL blocks are often keep within the info and reused.
- Procedural language capability: It consists of procedural language constructs like conditional statements (if else statements) and loops like (FOR loops).
- Better performance: PL/SQL engine processes multiple SQL statements at the same time as one block, thereby reducing network traffic.
- Error handling: PL/SQL handles errors or exceptions effectively throughout the execution of a PL/SQL program.
Once associate degree exception is caught, specific actions can be taken depending upon the type of the exception or it can be displayed to the user with a message.
Comparisons of SQL and PLSQL:
|It is a database Structured Query Language.||It is a database programming language using SQL.|
|Data variable are not available||Data variable are available.|
|No Supported Control Structures.||Control Structures are available Like, For loop, While loop.|
|Query performs single operation.||PLSQL block performs Group of Operation as single bloack.|
|SQL is declarative language.||PLSQL is procedural language.|
|SQL can be embedded in PLSQL.||PLSQL can’t be embedded in SQL.|
|It directly interacts with the database server.||It does not interacts directly with the database server.|
|It is Data oriented language.||It is application oriented language.|
|It is used to write queries, DDL and DML statements.||It is accustomed write program blocks, functions, procedures triggers,and packages.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.