Given a Singly Linked List, write a function to delete a given node. Your function must follow following constraints:
1) It must accept a pointer to the start node as the first parameter and node to be deleted as the second parameter i.e., a pointer to head node is not global.
2) It should not return a pointer to the head node.
3) It should not accept pointer to pointer to the head node.
You may assume that the Linked List never becomes empty.
Let the function name be deleteNode(). In a straightforward implementation, the function needs to modify the head pointer when the node to be deleted is the first node. As discussed in previous post, when a function modifies the head pointer, the function must use one of the given approaches, we can’t use any of those approaches here.
We explicitly handle the case when the node to be deleted is the first node, we copy the data of the next node to head and delete the next node. The cases when a deleted node is not the head node can be handled normally by finding the previous node and changing next of the previous node. The following are the implementation.
Given Linked List: 12 15 10 11 5 6 2 3 Deleting node 10: Modified Linked List: 12 15 11 5 6 2 3 Deleting first node Modified Linked List: 15 11 5 6 2 3
Please write comments if you find the above codes/algorithms incorrect, or find other ways to solve the same problem.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Find the middle of a given linked list in C and Java
- Program for n'th node from the end of a Linked List
- Write a function to get Nth node in a Linked List
- Given only a pointer/reference to a node to be deleted in a singly linked list, how do you delete it?
- Detect loop in a linked list
- Write a function to delete a Linked List
- Write a function that counts the number of times a given int occurs in a Linked List
- Reverse a linked list
- Given only a pointer to a node to be deleted in a singly linked list, how do you delete it?
- Write a function to get the intersection point of two Linked Lists
- Function to check if a singly linked list is palindrome
- The Great Tree-List Recursion Problem.
- Clone a linked list with next and random pointer | Set 1
- Memory efficient doubly linked list
- Given a linked list which is sorted, how will you insert in sorted way