In C and C++, comma (,) can be used in two contexts:
1) Comma as an operator:
The comma operator (represented by the token ,) is a binary operator that evaluates its first operand and discards the result, it then evaluates the second operand and returns this value (and type). The comma operator has the lowest precedence of any C operator, and acts as a sequence point.
2) Comma as a separator:
Comma acts as a separator when used with function calls and definitions, function like macros, variable declarations, enum declarations, and similar constructs.
The use of comma as a separator should not be confused with the use as an operator. For example, in below statement, f1() and f2() can be called in any order.
See this for C vs C++ differences of using comma operator.
You can try below programs to check your understanding of comma in C.
3) Comma operator in place of a semicolon.
We know that in C and C++, every statement is terminated with a semicolon but comma operator also used to terminate the statement after satisfying the following rules.
- The variable declaration statements must be terminated with semicolon.
- The statements after declaration statement can be terminated by comma operator.
- The last statement of the program must be terminated by semicolon.
First Line Second Line Third Line Last line
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- A comma operator question
- Result of comma operator as l-value in C and C++
- Comma operator should be used carefully
- How can we use Comma operator in place of curly braces?
- C++ Program to print an Array using Recursion
- Storage Classes in C++ with Examples
- fill_n() function in C++ STL with examples
- fill() function in C++ STL with examples
- How to erase an element from a vector using erase() and reverse_iterator?
- iomanip setbase() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setpricision() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setiosflags() function in C++ with Examples
- iomanip setfill() function in C++ with Examples
- Manipulators in C++ with Examples