In mathematics and computer science, the floor and ceiling functions map a real number to the greatest preceding or the least succeeding integer, respectively.
floor(x) : Returns the largest integer that is smaller than or equal to x (i.e : rounds downs the nearest integer).
// Here x is the floating point value. // Returns the largest integer smaller // than or equal to x double floor(double x)
Examples of Floor:
Input : 2.5 Output : 2 Input : -2.1 Output : -3 Input : 2.9 Output : 2
Floor is : 2 Floor is : -3
ceil(x) : Returns the smallest integer that is greater than or equal to x (i.e : rounds up the nearest integer).
// Here x is the floating point value. // Returns the smallest integer greater // than or equal to x double ceiling(double x)
Examples of Ceil:
Input : 2.5 Output : 3 Input : -2.1 Output : -2 Input : 2.9 Output : 3
Ceil is : 3 Ceil is : -2
This article is contributed by Sahil Rajput. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Finding Floor and Ceil of a Sorted Array using C++ STL
- Precision of floating point numbers in C++ (floor(), ceil(), trunc(), round() and setprecision())
- Mathematical Functions in Python | Set 2 (Logarithmic and Power Functions)
- Mathematical Functions in Python | Set 1 (Numeric Functions)
- Functions in C/C++
- Macros vs Functions
- Inline Functions in C++
- List in C++ | Set 2 (Some Useful Functions)
- C++ Mathematical Functions
- Searching in a map using std::map functions in C++
- Pure Functions
- Functions that cannot be overloaded in C++
- Important functions of STL Components in C++
- Can virtual functions be inlined?
- Operator Functions in Python | Set 1
- __builtin_inf() functions of GCC compiler
- fill() and fill_n() functions in C++ STL
- Const member functions in C++
- How arrays are passed to functions in C/C++
- Return from void functions in C++