Splitting a string by some delimiter is a very common task. For example, we have a comma separated list of items from a file and we want individual items in an array.
Almost all programming languages, provide function split a string by some delimiter.
// Splits str according to given delimiters. // and returns next token. It needs to be called // in a loop to get all tokens. It returns NULL // when there are no more tokens. char * strtok(char str, const char *delims);
Geeks for Geeks
In Java :
In Java, split() is a method in String class.
// expregexp is the delimiting regular expression; // limit is the number of returned strings public String split(String regexp, int limit); // We can call split() without limit also public String split(String regexp)
Geeks for-Geeks Geeks for Geeks
// regexp is the delimiting regular expression; // limit is limit the number of splits to be made str.split(regexp = "", limit = string.count(str))
['Geek1', 'Geek2', 'Geek3'] ['Geek1', '\nGeek2 \nGeek3']
This article is contributed by Aditya Chatterjee. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Python String | split()
- Python | String Split including spaces
- Python | Split string into list of characters
- Python | Split given string into equal halves
- Python program to split and join a string
- Python | Split string on Kth Occurrence of Character
- Python | Split string in groups of n consecutive characters
- Python | Split CamelCase string to individual strings
- Split a string in equal parts (grouper in Python)
- Split() String method in Java with examples
- Python | Pandas Split strings into two List/Columns using str.split()
- Python | Ways to split a string in different ways
- Split the string into substrings using delimiter
- Check if given string can be split into four distinct strings
- numpy string operations | split() function