Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is used to Exchange routing information for the internet and is the protocol used between ISP which are different ASes.
The protocol can connect together any internetwork of autonomous system using an arbitrary topology. The only requirement is that each AS have at least one router that is able to run BGP and that is router connect to at least one other AS’s BGP router. BGP’s main function is to exchange network reach-ability information with other BGP systems. Border Gateway Protocol constructs an autonomous systems’ graph based on the information exchanged between BGP routers.
Characteristics of Border Gateway Protocol (BGP):
- Inter-Autonomous System Configuration: The main role of BGP is to provide communication between two autonomous systems.
- BGP supports Next-Hop Paradigm.
- Coordination among multiple BGP speakers within the AS (Autonomous System).
- Path Information: BGP advertisement also include path information, along with the reachable destination and next destination pair.
- Policy Support: BGP can implement policies that can be configured by the administrator. For ex:- a router running BGP can be configured to distinguish between the routes that are known within the AS and that which are known from outside the AS.
- Runs Over TCP.
- BGP conserve network Bandwidth.
- BGP supports CIDR.
- BGP also supports Security.
Functionality of Border Gateway Protocol (BGP):
BGP peers performs 3 functions, which are given below.
- The first function consist of initial peer acquisition and authentication. both the peers established a TCP connection and perform message exchange that guarantees both sides have agreed to communicate.
- The second function mainly focus on sending of negative or positive reach-ability information.
- The third function verifies that the peers and the network connection between them are functioning correctly.
BGP Route Information Management Functions:
- Route Storage:
Each BGP stores information about how to reach other networks.
- Route Update:
In this task, Special techniques are used to determine when and how to use the information received from peers to properly update the routes.
- Route Selection:
Each BGP uses the information in its route databases to select good routes to each network on the internet network.
- Route advertisement:
Each BGP speaker regularly tells its peer what is knows about various networks and methods to reach them.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Features of Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP)
- Exterior Gateway Protocol (EGP)
- Difference between OSPF and BGP
- Difference between EIGRP and BGP
- Difference between IGRP and BGP
- Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Difference between File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Difference between Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) and Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) in Data Link Layer
- C Program to find IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway
- Common Gateway Interface (CGI)
- Difference between Bridge and Gateway
- Difference between Router and Gateway
- Difference between Switch and Gateway
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
- Sliding Window Protocol | Set 1 (Sender Side)
- Sliding Window Protocol | Set 2 (Receiver Side)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.